54 plate tdi needing help and parts

cheechy

A2OC Donor
ok so hi - just joined and bought an A2 for the first time. A2 TDI SE 90 on a 54 plate and done 118k in silver blue (what colour is this btw? :) ).

I got the car cheap as there are a number of things that need done! Car is very grubby inside and mechanically it does run but I've already purchased cambelt, air filter, ac compressor, wing mirror N/S, nearside bush, brakes and pads all round, boot catch and car needs full service. Thats excluding the hours I'll need to put in bringing the cleanliness of the car up to scratch including machine polishing and cabin clean. Big project!

Reckon total fix will be around the 1k mark or even more so looking to make savings where I can...so this is why I'm in here to kick off what is hopefully a long and loving relationship...

So looking to get good working order door check straps for both front doors, set of 17" sport alloys (current 16" alloys are a complete mess) and a space saver and fitment kit - all be it I do seem to have the boot floor. Think the car came with foam rather than a spare wheel.

Of course it goes without saying that I'd like to retrofit cruise as well as get my hands on a nice leather interior but thats the long term.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ive moved your thread into introductions "Cheechy" to help with the flow of A2steves parts thread...I,m sure he will read it though and help if he can. I do believe that the silver blue colour is known as "Akoya" and a big welcome to a helpful and friendly club.

Cheers
Dave:)

Welcome! KY4 - is that Kirkcaldy? The kingdom? :) welcome fellow Fifer!
Why can everyone change their own cam belt apart from me? I'm obviously a big coward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Cheechy. Welcome to the club. I can help with one check strap I believe and a space saver wheel although it is not an A2 specific one.

Last edited:
If you care to send me your faulty check straps I will replace the rivets with bolts and the nylon rollers with brass ones so you will never have the problem again
Cost is £20 per check strap and for the two I'm sure I can do return postage for a couple of quid

Drop me a PM if you are interested

Cheers,

Welcome! KY4 - is that Kirkcaldy? The kingdom? :) welcome fellow Fifer!
Why can everyone change their own cam belt apart from me? I'm obviously a big coward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are joking right? I said I bought it didn't say I was fitting it :)

If you care to send me your faulty check straps I will replace the rivets with bolts and the nylon rollers with brass ones so you will never have the problem again
Cost is £20 per check strap and for the two I'm sure I can do return postage for a couple of quid

Wow sounds fantastic will do. They don't work at all just now so assuming it makes no odds if I remove and leave the doors without?
Cheers,

Ps just sent pm not sure if it's sent due to my new status.

Last edited:
Welcome and nice choice of car.

The check strap limits how far the door opens, so if leaving them off take extra care especially if windy or you may find you end up with damaged hinges or worse ripped bodywork.

Wow sounds fantastic will do. They don't work at all just now so assuming it makes no odds if I remove and leave the doors without?
Cheers,

I'll stand corrected, but I seem to recall there is a 10 post minimum before you can PM.

As a tip, you need to go into your settings and enable 'save sent messages' should you want to keep your history - the default I believe is not to save them.

Hi Steve definitely interested​ but can't seem to pm yet.

Cheers,

You can still use the A2 without the check straps, but be VERY careful as the doors will open too far and therefore could be damaged
I will get them back to you within a couple of days

I got you PM OK, although I didn't understand it, I have replied.
Drop me a PM when you have the check straps removed and I will provide my postal address and Paypal details
Cheers,

I'm not going to spam to get count up but all I can say is thanks for the welcome. I did think after I saw my post moved and no idea what had happened to it in Steve's thread that it may be another one of those militant forums I've come across over the years but glad to say I couldn't have been more wrong.

Will have a good look around there is a wealth of great info on here.

New ones are £31 each at dealers and will cause same problem again.
A far cry from the £15 each when newer (2010)

Cheers,

Hi Paul,

Are these parts self fittable? Could you send them by post to fit in situ? Perhaps with a guide? I'd be interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers,

Paul, perhaps we could work something out with the dosgy check straps I have on cars I break, you could then have a stock to supply them to the club so there was no delay.

Hi Paul,

Are these parts self fittable? Could you send them by post to fit in situ? Perhaps with a guide? I'd be interested.

Technically yes, but there are some powerful springs in play, so I would say not really a DIY job unless you are a serious spanner freak :)

Cheers,
Paul

New ones are £31 each at dealers and will cause same problem again.
A far cry from the £15 each when newer (2010)

We must get to a point were Audi have none left, I do wonder if the increasing price means that they are getting in short supply
I also fully agree that the original design is quite poor, those 2 large pot rivets are simply not man enough for the job and will certainly fail at some point in the future, if the nylon roller doesn't give up first

I am confident that my re manufactured check straps will out last the A2 they are fitted too

Cheers,

I certainly like Steve's idea of having a stock. Perhaps with an agreement to return the removed check straps to maintain stock levels depending on how many there are available. I'd be up for that. :)

Hi Steve,
I am certainly up for that

What did you have in mind ?

Cheers,

I supply you with a load of checkstraps once I build up a stockpile for free and in return you send me one or two of your superdooper ones for my own car?

Back