Electric Window Motor Needs battery off Reset to sort out

Foghorn

Chaps

Any clues on this one as it is an intermittent fault that's happened over the past 2yrs, not happened over the last 12 months but now twice in 2 days!

The driver's window has had the (common?) problem of dropping back 3" when it's put up- something to do with the safety feature for trapped fingers I believe? I've lived with it because if I put the window up in short stages or 1" before total close and then again it closes OK. The intermittent fault is the window will open and either go 'dead' or I can put it up a few inches and if I stop may go dead again.

There is then it appears no pwoer to the window so I can't close it without disconnecting the battery for a few seconds then all is back to normal (along with having to reset the time.date which defaults to 00:00 01.01.2000). The strange thing is everything else works inclduing the passenger elec window/mirrors etc. It only affect the drivers window.

I have tried all combinations of solutions - ignition on/off, holding (long press) on window button, centre lock/unlock and wait for a few hours but all to no avail to get it to work! The only way is to disconnect then reconnect the battery.

Any ideas?

It is a tricky one to diagnose, especially remotely.

I would check all connections on that door, the interior ones in the door itself and also the ones in the A pillar.
Check the earth connections behind the A pillar trim while you are checking everything.

If everything looks ok you are left with a potential failing window circuitry or perhaps more likely, a failing CCCU, but since all of the issues seem to be related to the one door, the CCCU is possibly NOT the cause (but not impossible)

Steve B

Thanks Steve. Just can't figure out why it loses power to the window that can only be restored by taking the main battery off and putting it back on?

I suspect a failing CCCU

Drop a PM to member TIMMUS he will be able to advise further and offers a CCCU replacement service which has a better chip in it than the originals had (so will not fail again in the future)

Cheers,

...or better still "Foghorn"..... have a run up to Leeds in the morning and seek his advice in person at the social. :)

Reactions: chb
...or better still "Foghorn"..... have a run up to Leeds in the morning and seek his advice in person at the social. :)

Drat miseed that! As an aside is it usual for the clock/date to reset when the battery is removed for a few seconds? I thought there might be some latent charge for a few minutes.

Also has anyone had the window auto safety issue where it drops 3" thinking an object is trapped and if so how did you cure it?

Mine used to stop and need a reset, unplug CCU rather than battery. Liberal amount of silicon spray in the runners. No problems since.

Re clock/date reset to 1/1/2000 when battery removed for a few seconds - yes this is normal behaviour
The windows system needs to 'learn' where the top and bottoms are, I think the way to do this is to move the window from top to bottom about 6 times, when the window reaches either the top or the bottom keep the switch in the up/down position for 3 seconds. Once the system know the top and bottom position the one touch up/down should work

I have also found that sticky runners for the glass can cause the system to think it as a trapped body part and therefore drop the window a few inches, lubrication with a silicon spray worked a treat for me

cheers,

Quick update I might have sorted it. After several up/down holding the button to learn the open/close position it hasn't done it since. Also it will now nearly always go straight up without rolling back 3 inches. A good dose of silicon spray on the runners is the next step.

Thanks for this thread - just solved my problem with the front windows going down but not back up again after fitting Hekos. Battery positive off and reconnect, silicone spray, 3 full ups and downs all held for 15 seconds each side, job done.

Back