To skim or not...

Good evening chaps. I've just got the gearbox off our FSI and there are quite a few hotspots on the flywheel and pressure plate.

Is it worth having the flywheel skimmed to produce a fresh surface? I last did this on my Saab 10 years ago and it did make a real difference but not sure if I can be bothered to spend more money and hold up reassembly.

All views/thoughts welcome...
67afad451c32fa9245106f02171defab.jpg
0952cf236ef7a60f1c711567c309b417.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks a bit ropey, I would skim that, just to avoid the cost/time/inconvenience of fixing it after it's been put back together. Plus every time the clutch judders a bit it will play on your mind and you'll wish you'd done it at the time ....

Looks a bit ropey, I would skim that, just to avoid the cost/time/inconvenience of fixing it after it's been put back together. Plus every time the clutch judders a bit it will play on your mind and you'll wish you'd done it at the time ....

Couldn't agree more, thanks for the reassurance. My understanding is that judder from the flywheel side will only translate into new hotspots on the pressure plate as the friction plate judders. Getting the gearbox off was quite easy, the contortions needed to extract the slave cylinder and undo the gearbox mounting bolts were not. Been quoted £80 from a machine shop in Ipswich so I'm going to take the plunge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back