All warning lights on, loss of power, rev counter zero. Save my car being scrapped.

Afternoon all,
Audi A2, 2000 x plate petrol 1.4SE. 149,000 miles.

Been a while since i've been on here, car has been a legend, had the old girl 10 years now from 40,000 miles and has been the best car i've ever owned.
But now it looks like i'm going to have to scrap it as I can't get to the bottom of the problem and it's not worth throwing money at it, which is a real shame as the bodywork and
interior are like new. Such a shame. The wife will not drive it now and it's freaking her out. It is bloody dangerous when it goes on the motorway.
If anyone has any ideas to save the old girl, i'm all ears.
If googled and found a few threads listing out the same problem, but no solution.
Symptoms are ...... car drives fine, then engine hesitation, then all warning lights on, low oil light beep. (oil level fine) Rev counter goes to zero. Limp mode, sometimes i can drive through it, sometimes all power goes. If I turn the ignition off and on, it sometimes clears it, but happens again.
Had the car checked for faults, only one came up, accelerator pedal, which was replaced. Still comes up with pedal fault though.
The car will run fine for a few days sometimes before reoccurring.
You guys are my last hope before the old girl goes to the scrap yard in the sky.
I could cry.

It is a long shot and almost certainly not the cause, but have you checked to see if the small battery positive lead is securely tightened?

steve B

To continue from Steve B's suggestion, try earth lead strap. Located behind passenger headlamp (more access if you completely remove headlamp). It's tucked away but can be easily seen.

Mine would start, no power etc. Turned out to be the washer, quick clean with wire brush sorted it.

Some one may have a pictures to help you locate.
May not be this but worth a try

throttle body is also a likely cause, I have a spare one that you can have at cost (cost me £10) if it helps, it is a 4 bolt job to replace it.
However it does really need vagcom to 'teach the ECU' about the new throttle body (I have replaceed them without Vagcom but the ECU takes an age to learn about the throttle body and ticks over a bit rough until learned (a few weeks)

I really don't want to scrap her, She's been amazing, but if the suggestions don't work, I really have no option.
I don't have the time to fiddle about on a non running vehicle. Many thanks guys for all your input, I gives me a start.
I also seems to only play up when the ambient temp outside is warm. Is Spike still around on here?

I'd be a little more systematic with this one.

Remove fuses for various components one at a time, ie power steering, then headlights, then radio etc etc, take the car for a test drive and see how it behaves. It will at least narrow things down to the area if not the component that's causing the issue.

The issue seems to be something that causes the ECU's to go haywire, perhaps a short of spike in voltage. Is the alternator working correctly? I have a similar issue after I fitted bi-xenon projectors, if i flash the headlights repeatedly then the clocks turn off, then back on but I get a warning beep, the clocks reset (mileage etc) and i lose power steering. I'm guessing it's some earth leakage from the chinese projectors (or something along those lines) but based on this, it might be worth investigating.

Nick

Back