USB charger installation

steaman

A2OC Donor
I dont like the position of the 12V power supply and have the USB charger cable pass by the gear lever.
So I bought one of these for £5:
s-l500.jpg

And replaced the outdated phone handsfree connector below the ashtray.

rsz_20170615_153809[1].jpgrsz_20170615_163637.jpgrsz_20170615_165049.jpg

The cover in front of the gear selector can be removed without any tools, lift the gear selector gaitor and then the cover.

That looks AMAZING! Now I'm torn!
I have the same plug and was going to put it in my cubby (behind a false front to fit my heated seat controls) but this looks so good i'm changing my mind! I even have a spare panel bit! Oh my god! Life changed by this post!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm now ready to have a go at this myself.

By chance I have the exact same double USB and voltmeter as steaman.

I also have an Aux in jack facing with USB input which I planned to connect to my Connects 2 so I can make things look less wirey and cluttered around the centre console - keep my iPod etc in the tray. I'll be mounting this next to the USB charging socket.

Here's the bits and hopefully I'll have a finished shot at some point.

4725aa61f8de88d0cd3c9564773f2a7c.jpg

I also have a spare plastic tray from A2Steve so this is a zero risk venture

My plan is to wire the power socket to the existing accessory socket on the gear stick surround so it can share the fuse and that will keep the maximum draw at safe levels. Will see how thick the wiring in there is before I decide what I'm using.

I've built the panel. It looks very pretty. Still to connect it though.

My plan is to dismantle the centre console, do my gear stick adjustment, run power for my dash cam and wire in my heated seats.

It'll need to be a free day so might be a while. ;)

Hi Pinky,
I don't know if you're aware, but there is no need to dismantle the centre console to adjust the gearstick, then again, I might have misread your post, so I apologise if thats the case.

Boris

Hi Pinky,
I don't know if you're aware, but there is no need to dismantle the centre console to adjust the gearstick, then again, I might have misread your post, so I apologise if thats the case.

Boris

You didn't misread and cheers for the pointer.

I need to dismantle it anyway to get to the wires I want to run to the rear coin holder I think and to splice in the new connections. It reckon it'll be easier with it dismantled - I don't think I'm precise enough to manage the 'keyhole' method!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You didn't misread and cheers for the pointer.

I need to dismantle it anyway to get to the wires I want to run to the rear coin holder I think and to splice in the new connections. It reckon it'll be easier with it dismantled - I don't think I'm precise enough to manage the 'keyhole' method!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Believe me, it's easier than you think, but if you're dismantling for other work....

527f9bfd3def7017eb0419120122a131.jpg

The cables are in place to power this new accessory socket - still to solder and cloth tape to secure but at least they are run.

I'm going to put my CD autochanger mimic box into the gap under the panel as well as a spare 12v socket in case I want to hide some cables in the future. Might get a little tight.

The power is coming from the plug from the standard gear stick socket. It's a constant 12v and I'm adding some USB sockets and two more 12v into the rear coin container so that'll also get a feed. I'm adding in line fuses where I can get to them too - safety first!

Hello everyone,
I would like to install additional socket too. Can you tell me where can I find + and - to feed it.
There are 2 cables(red and blue) in the dash behind the radio that are not connected anywhere. They are from the car installation I believe.. When I tested with the voltmeter it shows 12v constant and the other cable is mass. When I connect it to the socket it is not working, but I have tested LED on it and there is a light. Don't know why the usb doesn't work.

Hi Marto

I took the supply for my additional 12v sockets from the existing socket in the handbrake surround. I put a fuse in and ran it under the panel in front of the gearstick.

I removed the whole central console but you could maybe do it by removing the handbrake cover and surround and running the wires through with a 'ferret' or similar.

Alternatively Depronman has described a thick white wire which runs to the back of the Climate Control panel. It's an ignition switched 12V supply. I took power for another socket from that for my Dashcam. Again I added a fuse but it was easy enough to splice in the two wires and drop them behind the cubby hole and ashtray and fish them out into the area in front of the gear stick.

I have used extra fuses and been quite careful in their rating because I'm not sure what those wires will carry safely but I think the normal 12V socket is 8amps and the white wire is considerably thicker.

Hope that helps.

I had already decided to install a usb socket under the ashtray to power my IPhone when using Google Maps. Now after reading this thread I will check that my IPhone doesn’t come up with “this accessory is not compatible” message before installing, thanks for the heads up I may just put in a standard 12v socket otherwise.

Pinky, Having had a quick look under the handbrake there seems to be two wires, am I right to think one is power and the other lights with earth through the fitting?
Thanks

Back