Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabin temperature issues

Cabin temperature issues

Looking to try and get ideas if I have an issue or not, and if so what could be causing the problem.

So just had a few things replaced and the mechanic has cc unit set at 28 degrees when I picked it up..very toasty. So immediately turned down to setting "lo" and the cabin was quickly filled with very hot air.

I gave the system a few minutes whilst driving and tried again with the same result.

Now I run obdeleven on it before and it flagged issues with ac...but even without that I would have hoped there would be some sort of temp regulation?

Incidentally I took a 30 min break and commenced journey and after initial blast of hot air it went down to cooler ( not cold) air.

I have an ac pump to go in just concerned there may well be something else going on...suggestions?

sounds more like a sticking / faulty flap motor on the climate control unit
    Try giving it a good workout on the temp buttons, spend 15 mins cycling between hot and cold, this should free it up if it is simply sticking (Quite likely)
    Paul (Depronman)
    1.4 TDI 2001 287,347 miles and still going strong

3. 2 users that liked this post:

Birchall (18-06-2017), cheechy (16-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by depronman View Post
    sounds more like a sticking / faulty flap motor on the climate control unit
    Try giving it a good workout on the temp buttons, spend 15 mins cycling between hot and cold, this should free it up if it is simply sticking (Quite likely)
    Good shout I think that's what the diags were telling me but I wrongly assumed it was the ac compressor!

If it is faulty can the motor be replaced do you know?

yes it is possible to replace the motor, never had a need to do one. It may need the dash removing to gain access, not 100% sure
    Paul (Depronman)

6. Users that liked this post:

cheechy (16-06-2017)

I've had a similar issue on my 2005 TDi almost since new. It's a sticking valve in the internals of the heater matrix that stick on the default parked position of "hot". Mine was under warranty when the problem was found, but Audi did warn me that to fix the problem, the entire dash had to be removed in a 9-hour operation, and would be unlikely to go back together as well as the factory fit would be, so given it was intermittent did I really want to do it? It confuses the automatic air conditioning system if you have that fitted, in that it detects the car isn't cooling down fast enough, so it turns UP the fan so blows more hot air and the cycle repeats until I've had the car at seemingly 50+ degrees.

What I have found is that the "stickyness" of the value is improved by using air-con cleaners (the canisters of smoke type that you close in the car with re-circulate on). The other method I've noticed is allowing the valves to move from their "home" position when parked to "operate" before you finish turning the key to a cranking position. You'll hear a "whirr", followed by three small additional "whirrs". Waiting for those to finish before turning the key to "start" seems to cure it for me (perhaps the voltage drop on cranking leaves the valves without enough power to properly position themselves.

Hope that helps.

8. Users that liked this post:

cheechy (17-06-2017)

Ok wow thanks won't be getting this fixed on a hurry!
    Would it help if I rolled my trouser leg up and counted to 500 backwards in elvish?

Cheers for feedback.

Scan does identify flap motor as intermittent. Seems to be ok to start and after a while (and in these temps) the cabin temp and heat rises. Turn the cc unit off and temp reduces again quickly.

I may have to get this fixed at some point but I might try regass first.

If the problem is a "sticking" temperature control flap motor it can be replaced without removing the dashboard. Its accessed after removing the glove box and very fiddly but it is possible.
    Cherry Red Tdi 90

a re gas will do nothing to fix a sticking / faulty control flap. I thought it was possible to replace the flap motor without removing the dash, thanks 'Special edition' for confirming this
    Paul (Depronman)

13. Users that liked this post:

Special edition (19-06-2017)

For info, this is a schematic of the aircon system showing the relative position of the motorised flaps

Cheers Spike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aircon108.pdf  

15. Users that liked this post:

Special edition (19-06-2017)