Cost of replacing ABS system. Shock absorbers.

squibby5

I live in North Italy and have had my lovely silver Audi A2 since 2011. It just passed the MOT ( I had to pay 300euro to replace back light panels) and now the ABS lights are flashing on the panel.
My local mechanic says it will cost too much to fix and replace and for the same price (about 2000 euro) he can sell me an Astra box on wheels that is better value. I don't want to replace this car - it is comfortable, lovely to drive and a quality car. There are also problems with the front suspension and the shock absorbers which need replacing. My questions are the following: can I just ignore the ABS lights (switch them off?)
and is the ABS system in any way linked to the suspension issue?
Many thanks,

I live in North Italy and have had my lovely silver Audi A2 since 2011. It just passed the MOT ( I had to pay 300euro to replace back light panels) and now the ABS lights are flashing on the panel.
My local mechanic says it will cost too much to fix and replace and for the same price (about 2000 euro) he can sell me an Astra box on wheels that is better value. I don't want to replace this car - it is comfortable, lovely to drive and a quality car. There are also problems with the front suspension and the shock absorbers which need replacing. My questions are the following: can I just ignore the ABS lights (switch them off?)
and is the ABS system in any way linked to the suspension issue?
Many thanks,

Before you do anything like that just check that the brake lights are working correctly. You say you have had something done to the rear light units?

It may be a coincidence, but if both brakes lights have failed you will get lots of warning lights one the dash.

Steve B

If the original instrument cluster lights in the panel were faulty then this ABS problem may not have revealed itself up until the new one was fitted. It could well be a simple wiring fault to the ABS sensor which is a cheapish fix.

I wouldn't ignore the ABS warning light as it is an important feature and its worth keeping it. The suspension issues regarding the shock absorbers should not have any connection to the ABS system.

Cheers
Dave:)

Thank you Steve! I don't think it is related to the back lights as it wasn't the lights themselves that needed fixing it was the plastic outer panels.. by a complete fluke(!) I had managed on 2 separate occasions to back into something and both the outer panes were cracked and broken.

Thanks Dave.. glad to know the suspension is not connected.. I have had trouble with panel lights since I bought the car and strangely the problem seems to come and go ..
Maggie

Back