Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alloy wheel DIY refurbishment

Alloy wheel DIY refurbishment

I'm sure most on here are perfectionists but some will be, like me, on a shoe-string budget with a daily driver that we want to look as good as it can.

A big pot-hole, a Scottish winter (or three) and a slow puncture mean my SE alloys need a refurb badly. I did have them returned and powder coated and they looked good for 14months. At 80 a corner it's a bit steep for now and I looked for alternatives.

A set of 7 spoke TT alloys with tyres fortuitously nearby present an opportunity. They are not in the best nick but worth a shot perhaps?

Some thorough cleaning reveals a fair bit of damage and kerbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Users that liked this post:

Special edition (18-06-2017)

Some work with a detail sander and a lot of sandpaper and a Brillo pad (or ten!) before I load the holes up with two part alloy wheel repair compound. This sets REALLY quickly!

4. 2 users that liked this post:

murdo (18-06-2017), Special edition (18-06-2017)

Not great at adding photos here!

Next I sand the wheels again and level the filler off and smooth it down. I'm up to 1200 wet and dry. I've got 2500 but I'm too impatient for that.

Now to mask and prime! I used plastic backed (cheap) playing cards to fit down the back of the alloy rim and protect the tyre from spray. Some masking tape and we're done! Three packs was just enough. one left for poker!

Primer on! It's a self-etch and goes on pretty easily to form a Matt grey finish. Shows up some bumps so sand these again.

8. Users that liked this post:

JIGSAW (18-06-2017)

Now for the silver paint!

I'm leaving out the LONG pauses between activity to get dry days when I'm not at work and to allow things to dry and set.

They need a day to set and then the clear coat layer which takes TWO WEEKS to cure! Anyone got a big oven?

I'm not thinking these will be perfect but from anything but really close up they look good so far and are A LOT better than what's on just now. I can always get them done properly later.

Total cost
    Wheels and tyres 100 (thanks buddy! Helpful forum person )
    Paint kit (filler, primer, paints, lacquer, sandpaper) 30
    Cards and masking tape 3

10. 10 users that liked this post:

67boris (19-06-2017), Darren C (18-06-2017), Jeff Sutcliffe (18-06-2017), Jeffers66 (19-06-2017), JIGSAW (18-06-2017), Keithb (18-06-2017), murdo (19-06-2017), rosiedog (19-06-2017), Sarge (06-07-2017), Special edition (19-06-2017)

Looking good there pinky , you could use a hair drier between coats as find it speeds up drying times with areosols, or in this weather you could put them in the green house there surely bake
    Audi A2 TDI SE , Working sky , Bose , Dis , rear electric windows , Red leather .... Daily Driver

Audi A2 1.4 16valve

AUDI A2 SE 1.4TDI dirty diesel dog, Rebuild in progress , next stage custom stainless manifold and VNT Turbo

Project A2 Quattro Twin bike Engined Transplant, custom paintwork, bodykit front and rear bumper update with A6 sport Grill .

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Looking good there pinky , you could use a hair drier between coats as find it speeds up drying times with areosols, or in this weather you could put them in the green house there surely bake
    Thanks Jigsaw.

Today was great for it - was drying really quickly.

No greenhouse I'm afraid. No drive either! I do have a tiny 6x4 shed to stack them in while they set though! roll on two weeks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. 2 users that liked this post:

JIGSAW (19-06-2017), murdo (19-06-2017)

Brilliant work Alex. Very impressed and the playing cards is a great tip. I've scuffed a small section on the Octavia so I'm going to have a go at fixing it myself using this method . Cheers
    2004 TDI 90

This is what I used.

E-tech alloy silver wheel repair and refurbishment kit. Now on Fleabay for 24.

I'm not sure about the colour match for the existing silver paint on another alloy -and I bought extra sandpaper (and playing cards ) - but the paint seems pretty good so far. The etch primer stuck to the resin centre caps as well - no problem.