Swapping ECU 1.4 tdi AMF

67boris

A2OC Donor
In my effort to resolve the limp mode problem, I tried swapping the ECU from my other tdi as it has a mild remap as opposed to the 103 bhp that's in the car now. It starts briefly, bur immobilizer shuts it. I realized after the scan that each ECU contains the VIN number of its car. Is there a simple or not so simple way around it?

Boris

Whilst in limp mode i bought a remapped ecu with a stealth remap it doesn't go into limp mode as quick now and i can feel it trying to pull a bit kangaroo like

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Timmus put it in so he's the man to ask, thinking about it he was on his laptop so not 100%

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

it is possible to swap an ECU from one A2 to another, but the ECU must first be modified to bypass the Immobiliser. Tom (Timmus) as the kit to do this. So it is possible to have an ECU from reflashed with an remap and then made immobiliser free, it will then work in any A2 TDI that supports the remap present on the ECU e.g. AMF

Thank you both for the info.
Paul, what happens with the immobiliser, would it still work? If I send you my ECU, could you install your map and you could get my existing one to add to you map database. I don't like it, it is powerful, but pulls well over 2200rpm, while my mild map on the first TDI pulls from 1400. I read your thread and I keep checking it daily,
its really amazing what you achieved and I'd like to have it.

regards,

boris

Hi Boris,

As Paul says, I can disable the ECU immobiliser, allowing it to be fitted into any A2 TDI with the same engine code. Like Paul, I can also move maps around between ECUs. If you're willing to post one or more ECUs to the UK, I'll do whatever you want me to with them.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

My idea was to swap ECUs as a part of diagnostic process, but it seems to much hassle. What I want is one of Paul's maps into my second TDI, from what I read on his thread, it seems to be way better then the current one I have. Once the rebuild of the first TDI is complete, I would compare and decide if I want that done as well.
Thanks for your kind offer, still haven't decided on it, loosing immobiliser makes car more vulnerable.

cheers,

boris

P.S. Any news on colour DIS upgrade?

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

My idea was to swap ECUs as a part of diagnostic process, but it seems to much hassle. What I want is one of Paul's maps into my second TDI, from what I read on his thread, it seems to be way better then the current one I have. Once the rebuild of the first TDI is complete, I would compare and decide if I want that done as well.
Thanks for your kind offer, still haven't decided on it, loosing immobiliser makes car more vulnerable.

cheers,

boris

Absolutely, I completely understand your position.

I possess a full collection of Paul's remaps as I regularly apply them on his behalf. An alternative approach is that a 3rd ECU is purchased. I can apply Paul's remap, disable the immobiliser and then send it to Cyprus. You can then freely move it between cars, aiding your diagnostic process and allowing you to trial Paul's remap. Once problems have been solved, you can make decisions about which map you want on which car and these can be applied with the imobiliser still enabled.

Cheers,

Tom

Now you got my attention!
Who will supply ECU and what would be the damage as per your suggestion?
Since this is not FOR SALE thread, I hope I'm not braking any rules (its not my intention, moderators please advise), you could PM me or reply here.

Boris

Hi Boris,
I work closely with Tom regarding remaps as he is far more likely to be at the members premise doing other A2 related work and therefore can perform the flashing of the ECU whilst there. You have a good conversation ongoing with Tom, so I will leave you both to discuss, but to answer your question the immobiliser would be none working if disabled in the ECU.
The advantages of disabling are portability between A2's which have the same engine, the disadvantages is obviously more liable to theft, however as a 'diagnostic aid' a remapped ECU without immobiliser is obviously a great thing to have.
I don't believe that Tom as any spare ECU's, so would be looking for you to source a spare and send it to Tom for remapping and immobiliser disabling. At some point in the future if you wanted the immobiliser re enabling then this is something that Tom could do for you (but would need the ECU in his hands to do it)
There are some ECU's around on Ebay for £25 (with original map)

Cheers,

Thanks Paul.
I agree that having a third ECU would be the best solution in my case and I will probably proceed with this.
However, at the moment I have a coolant loss issue that I'm trying to solve, so ECU will have to wait
for the time being.

Regards,

Boris

Boris, I have a dear friend travelling to Catalkoy on Sunday. PM or email me asap and I'll see if I can help.

Sarge

Back