Audi A2 replacement....A1?

Nigel245

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I have been looking at several different cars with a view to change from my 2005 A2 which I've had for about 5 years to something newer. I wanted similar economy and the feel of something special. Anyway after trying different popular cars out there but I was unimpressed with all the sorts so I started to look more closely towards the Audi A1. Obvious choice but more expensive. Anyway I brought a 1.2 A1 recently and its got something I like! A much better feel than all the other cars in similar size but more importantly that feel of an Audi which is what I loved with the last two A2's I've owned. Only been driving the A1 for a few days and getting more impressed with it! HOWEVER! This evening I went out to a works social and I thought I would take the A2 as I still have it. Big mistake or eye opener!! Advert all ready to go live. Just getting into it and then driving about 18 miles I started thinking this is so much nicer than the A1. My head and heart are fighting each way over the A2 vs the A1.

Conclusion. Audi A1 2011 TFSI. Great fun and really like it:)

Audi A2 Tdi 2005. Great fun but really really love it:D

Just 5 days ago I had a A2 Tdi then I brought an A1 to replace it. Still not advertised the A2 and now I really don't want to.:rolleyes:

Back in 2012 I wanted a new car and since I couldn't buy a new A2 I thought that the A1 might be the next best thing.

I was wrong. Even though it was FULLY specced (and I mean fully) it had something missing, it didn't have the character of an A2.

It was a great car, but it was a new car and pretty much the same as any new car, it didn't have any special characteristics (if you know what I mean).

It felt a bit cramped when compared to the A2, especially in the back.

As I say a lovely car but after two years I went back to an A2.

The end result, a LOSS of £15,000 on the purchase price.

Whatever happens to the A2 market (and I genuinely think it can only go UP, the most you can lose is the price you paid for the car in the first place.

You could buy a very nice A2 for around £4,000. If you buy a new car you will LOSE £4,000 the day you get the keys!

None of these comments apply to an S1 rather than an A1, Robin's amazing S1 has BAGS of character.

Steve B

Closest thing to the A2 for me would be the new Q2 but agree it doesn't have the same character.

Yes I remember the private message recently from you Steve. I thought I was ready to make the move to something else and the A1 was all that came close. What is this unseen force that draws us back to the A2:D

Back in 2012 I wanted a new car and since I couldn't buy a new A2 I thought that the A1 might be the next best thing.

I was wrong. Even though it was FULLY specced (and I mean fully) it had something missing, it didn't have the character of an A2.

It was a great car, but it was a new car and pretty much the same as any new car, it didn't have any special characteristics (if you know what I mean).

It felt a bit cramped when compared to the A2, especially in the back.

As I say a lovely car but after two years I went back to an A2.

The end result, a LOSS of £15,000 on the purchase price.

Whatever happens to the A2 market (and I genuinely think it can only go UP, the most you can lose is the price you paid for the car in the first place.

You could buy a very nice A2 for around £4,000. If you buy a new car you will LOSE £4,000 the day you get the keys!

None of these comments apply to an S1 rather than an A1, Robin's amazing S1 has BAGS of character.

Steve B

Closest thing to the A2 for me would be the new Q2 but agree it doesn't have the same character.

Closest for me is the VW Up! Innovative, small footprint, well-engineered and well-constructed, quirky, different and a tardis on the inside. Sound familiar?

I had a courtesy one the other week and it was fun, fun, fun. A sheer joy in the same way as the A2 is. I'm close to ordering one I enjoyed it so much.

I have to agree with A2Steve, Nigel. If you can afford the space and running costs, keep the A2 for those special moments and socials. The A1 is a good daily driver.

Last edited:
Yes I remember the private message recently from you Steve. I thought I was ready to make the move to something else and the A1 was all that came close. What is this unseen force that draws us back to the A2:D

That is a VERY difficult question to answer and it is a GREAT question.

To me one of the reasons is that it does virtually everything well, nothing outstanding but a complete package.

The power is more than sufficient for our roads,
The steering feel is so good that sometimes you only realise it when you drive something else.
The brakes, as with the steering, are things you just don't have to think about they do exactly what we want them to.
The space inside and the small footprint are a strong reason
The all round economy and reliability are outstanding features.
The fact there is no serious rust issues (I don't mean no rust at all of course)
An unseen benefit is that nobody can buy a new one and unlike new cars, we don't have to worry about the next upgrade (normally every year) does not make our cars into "not the latest model"
The fact that it is a totally usable, safe and comfortable classic car.

I am not saying it is perfect (the ride is a little harsh for some, for example) but what I am saying is an old cliché but a relevant one, the car is far more that the sum of its part.

Yes, I am known for my "rose coloured glasses" when it comes to the A2, but after owning almost every kind of car imaginable over the last 48 years, it is very telling that I am now totally convinced that the A2 is probably the best all round car I have ever owned.

Steve B

We (or more accurately, my wife - I just pay for it!) have a Skoda Citigo, owned from new for coming up 3 years. I fully agree with Darren's comments - the Up!/Citigo/Mii is a brilliant car. Way, way more than the some of its (meagre) parts. They are great fun to drive. I still enjoy taking it out, just to thrash it around a bit. That little engine would be good in an A2 as it's very light. BUT - it's not got the build quality of an A2. However, we won't be selling ours any time soon. It's a keeper.

Closest for me is the VW Up! Innovative, small footprint, well-engineered and well-constructed, quirky, different and a tardis on the inside. Sound familiar?

I had a courtesy one the other week and it was fun, fun, fun. A sheer joy in the same way as the A2 is. I'm close to ordering one I enjoyed it so much.

I have to agree with A2Steve, Nigel. If you can afford the space and running costs, keep the A2 for those special moments and socials. The A1 is a good daily driver.

I totally agree with the "UP" appraisal Darren... we,ve had one for 4 months now and its a brilliant car !. The revised 2016 model has a quieter engine, better gearbox (so simple) and a sportier look. Ours is the "Move" UP... 60BHP. Okay its not that quick but fuel economy is good and only £20 a year road tax (we beat the April Tax rise). Its a comfy ride and the "Lower" appearance of the dash makes it feel bigger than even the Polo or A1 inside. If I were to buy another I would go for the 75 or 90BHP and possibly the "beat" UP...LOL with a better Audio system. :)

Last edited:
Just had a BMW i3 on extended loan as looking to replace my company car. Loved it and seemed so similar in concept to the A2 When it was launched.

In the end decided to get my Wife a Fiat 500 convertible she has always wanted and I am going to use her A2 and sit smugly thinking that it might not be quite as nice as an i3 but the fact that I have £500pm in my back pocket now it's a bit of a no-brainer as to what is the better car.

a9c366a5c7c1ae0f63d8e2395f02e74a_zpsbodpswsh.jpg

Agreed a deal in principle Dave and will be ordering a High-Up spec tomorrow before heading off for VAG at the Manor.

I have ticked every box bar the pan roof one, trying to be sensible in reducing the outgoings (but failing). Have opted for the 90PS TSI.

It won't appeal to all, but the yellow storm owners might like it; picture of my spec below (minus the obligatory mud-flaps).

IMG_0221.JPG

I totally agree with the "UP" appraisal Darren... we,ve had one for 4 months now and its a brilliant car !. The revised 2016 model has a quieter engine, better gearbox (so simple) and a sportier look. Ours is the "Move" UP... 60BHP. Okay its not that quick but fuel economy is good and only £20 a year road tax (we beat the April Tax rise). Its a comfy ride and the "Lower" appearance of the dash makes it feel bigger than even the Polo or A1 inside. If I were to buy another I would go for the 75 or 90BHP and possibly the "beat" UP...LOL with a better Audio system. :)

I think that colour is called "Honey Yellow" Darren and its lovely. The Tsi 90 engine has just become available and will be like a pocket rocket mate with the added turbo. The "High UP" specc is the best with heated seats, air con and DIS... good choice and the mud flaps are around £130 fitted !. The GTi UP will be available next year with 110BHP. :)

Last edited:
I have ticked every box bar the pan roof one, trying to be sensible in reducing the outgoings (but failing). Have opted for the 90PS TSI.

It won't appeal to all, but the yellow storm owners might like it; picture of my spec below (minus the obligatory mud-flaps).

View attachment 29521

I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the 90PS TSI. I tried to get my local VW dealer to call me when they finally managed to get hold of a demonstrator. It was like pulling teeth.

Did you go for the matching Honey Yellow interior trim too? It would almost be rude not to :) I caved in and went with the pano roof on ours and haven't regretted it.

Not driven it, but I was so impressed with the 75PS naturally aspirated 3-pot that I know I will love it. Not opted for the matched interior, gone for the leather 'effect' choice with 2d neutral dash option. I have ticked the sill protector box though, so should be a nice 'entrance' to the cabin.

When I bought mine the VW dealer had a Golf Mk1 Gti in the showroom and it looked more or less exactly the same size as the UP. :confused:

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add. My daily driver is a 2 year old £30K odd BMW 535d GT, now I drive my sons A2 fairly regularly (my son hasn't passed his test yet), I can seriously say that it is a great car and does not feel its age. The design was so far ahead of its time and even with 122k on the clock the car feels good, definitely not a banger.
I have even considered selling the beemer and getting a nice A2 and a trip around the world with the difference.

Back