Audi A2 205/50/R16 Tyres

rgh-key

Hello All, I have recently purchased an Audi A2, so far I am loving ownership, however today I have had a passenger in with me and I think that I heard the wheel catching the wheel arch and/or liner now the wheels that are on the car are 205/50R16. I can't see any physical damage to the arch or liner but I am sure that is what I heard, has anyone successfully used these tyres on an A2 before?

They are listed, however, they are not underlined so I am not sure if they are correct. Is that list of all the tyres that will work or are only the underline ones suitable? Don't want to do any damage to the car especially after just buying it, have visions of the wheel arches been ripped off with a full car haha!

The underlined ones are factory OEM sizes. The others listed 'should' be okay. 205 wide definitely is fine and is the stock size on the 17" wheel with 40 profile. This must more or less equate to your 205/50/16 in overall diameter. It should therefore be okay. I run 215/40/17 with no rubbing at all. I assume you have't lowered the car and are on standard suspension? If not, this may be the answer.

I wonder if the rear shocks have become a little sloppy and wallowing when going over bumps and that's why it's catching or maybe someone has messed with the suspension although it does look pretty stock underneath, I will have to investigate further. The tyres don't seem to have any kurbing protection on them, maybe it's my over active imagination

You replied to Darren's post while I was replying to yours.

In answer to your question, many members I believe successively use non Audi A2 sizes but you should be aware this may constitute a modification and could have insurance ramifications. Perhaps wise to inform them.

Suggest putting a picture up and let members with expertise comment if it looks normal/or tight.

Andy

Just done a tyre size calculator my 205/50/R16 are 0.3" bigger in diameter to your 215/40/R17

Will 0.3" really make that much difference?

I wouldn't have thought so. Perhaps one of the arch liners has worked loose. Did you hear it whilst turning or on the straight? Any weight in the rear etc.. I would start to narrow it down in this way first and jack the car up checking for anything obvious such as loose bodywork or broken springs. Suggest then you take a fiend out again and try to simulate it and identify the location from there.

Just done a tyre size calculator my 205/50/R16 are 0.3" bigger in diameter to your 215/40/R17

Will 0.3" really make that much difference?

Myself and lots of other members run 205/50/16 without any issues whatsoever. :)
However, if your steering rack isn't completely centred (i.e. the tie rods are different lengths), there is a chance they'll rub the arches on full lock in one direction.

Cheers,

Tom

When you reply, select the image below in the header of your reply and locate the picture on your device/computer to upload it. It needs to be below 2mb or else it will be too large normally. The other option is to link to an account such as photobucket.

www.png

How do I put a picture on here Andy?

No I had no one in the back of the car was coming off a round about and gave it a bit of juice there was a dip in the road and it seemed to do it when it went over there I was going straight by this point. Seemed to be from the rear of the car. Not sure where your from Darren but the roads in Stoke on Trent are abysmal! First time I have had a passenger in with me since getting the car last weekend. I will try and get some photos and upload, the wheel arch liners all feel secure, however, I will double check that as it's a good point.

How do I put a picture on here Andy?

I use the forum facility - click 'go advanced' when writing a post and use the manage attachments. Does depend on some IT expertise but I just followed my nose first time and it worked. There is some criticism that this is dated and it needs updating. Many members upload direct from their mobile but you will have to ask them as I don't use mobiles!!!!!!! Seen many posts this year on this topic.

There is probably a guide somewhere but I can never find anything easily.

Off out now.

Andy

Not sure if this image will be uploaded

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 606
The gap from the bottom of the arch to the top of the tyre looks slightly closer than mine at the rear, but that could be the camera angle that is deceptive. The wheels and tyres do look like they protrude slightly more too, but that again may be the camera. The alloys aren't standard for the A2 as far as I am aware and so I wonder if the offset is wrong, is pushing the alloy out slightly too far and the top of the tyre is rubbing against the inner lip of the arch at the rear.

I thought that too there doesn't seem to be much clearance at all at the rear, I may have to load the car up and see what the gap is like and whether it catches. I am no Audi expert so thought the wheels were for the car, maybe that's the problem. If they aren't A2 Alloys wonder what they are off would be nice to find out the offset. It a bit of a shame as the Alloys look great and give the car a fantstic stance. :(

Not sure if this image will be uploaded

Those look like Mk1 TT alloys. I'm not sure of their offset, but, as I say, 205/50/16 is a commonly used tyre size that is known to give no issues when fitted to alloys with a suitable offset.

Given that you're experiencing issues at the rear of the car, I wonder whether the PUR spring seats have deteriorated. At the back of the A2, the springs don't sit directly against the metal of the chassis/axle but instead have a foamy disc in between. These foamy discs are notorious for disintegrating, causing the car to sit roughly 25mm lower at the back than it should. I wonder whether this has happened on your car.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
That could be the case, however, I have just had me and my neighbor sitting on the back and the wheels will definitely catch, the offset must be wrong, I have some A2 Alloys in the garage, will put those on for now.

I have just had me and my neighbor sitting on the back and the wheels will definitely catch, the offset must be wrong...

I don't quite see how you've come to this conclusion. As mentioned, the PUR spring seats could have deteriorated causing the car to sit too low at the back. Surely this option remains a possibility? Also, the original Audi springs are known to develop torsion fractures at the very top and bottom, causing a small piece of the spring to break off. This also causes the rear of the car to sit too low. In the photos you've uploaded, your A2 is very low at the back.

I've just had a look at the technical spec's of the alloys you have fitted. Unless I'm mistaken, they're 16" TT Speedlines (Part No. 8N0 601 025 C). They're a 7J and have an offset of ET31. Where exactly are the wheels catching? Is it on the inside of the wheel or on the outside edge? ET31 will push a 7J alloy towards the very outside of the arch.
My 7J 16" wheels are ET35, so they sit 4mm deeper into the arch than the TT wheels on your car. As mentioned, I also run 205/50/R16. I frequently travel around with my A2 fully laden in 'van mode' without the rear seats and never have my rear tyres caught the arch liners.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Back