G200 sensor again - but where is it???

edvarda2

Hi folks!
I have a 2001 A2 1,4 petrol. Every now and then a small disco starts in my instrument panel. A workshop computer tells me the G200 sensor (lateral acceleration sensor) should be changed. I am not able to find it anywhere. Not under the steering wheel, not under the gearstick, not behind, nor in front of it. Have disassembled most of the plastic around the stick now, and it is not there. Behind the stick I find only the airbag controller, in front only plastic tunnel for hot air, plus the gearbox wires. Can anyone PLEASE help me? I would really appreciate description plus photos. BTW the Audi dealer also, after a quick check, confirms it will be under the plastic in front of the gear change lever.

I think the part number should be 1J0 907 651 A.

Give me a few minutes I'll upload a picture to show you.....

Remove this panel, there is a screw with a plastic cap as in next picture. After removing cap and screw you can pull it away from bottom and it will unclip.

20170626_205050.jpg

20170626_205124.jpg

The arrows mark two 10mm nuts which need to be removed and the metal frame holds two sensors on it (Sensors not in the pictures).

20170626_205010.jpg

20170626_205017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again!
Thanks so much. Finally I found it, behind some isolation material, and pretty well hidden. Thanks so much Sarge. But your info is a little bit inaccurate. I have uploaded picture to show exact correct bolt location and how the stuff look outside the car.

Thanks again!G200 2.jpgG200 3.jpg

Ah yes OK, I went over to the scrap A2 and took a picture through passenger door whilst it's butted up against a wall, therefore could only get arm in with phone in hand and unable to get close enough to see it.

I know there's two 10mm nuts that needed removing so from that distance thought it was them, happy to be corrected Pal.

SARGE

One more thing, after searching every scrapyard in the country, plus ebay, and realizing Audi dealer wants ca 400 USD for a new sensor, I found a thread on how to repair it. Fixed this evening after a couple of hours job. Easier than I thought, in fact. Maybe you all know this, and maybe this is posted in another thread in here. Anyway, here is a quick youtube description. I succeeded anyway. The disco is gone. Cheers!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtI4pmiv16M

Back