Remote locking not working

Hi

I've just acquired an A2. A 1.4SE from 2000. I will start off by saying that it was DIRT cheap so there are a few issues that I am working through.

The one that has got me scratching my head at the moment is the remote locking. The car came with two flip keys, and I think it would be quite unlikely for both of them to be replacements.

I've replaced the batteries in them, but no combination of button presses, ignition twisting and manual locking can seem to get them to operate the remote locking. The Central locking itself is working fine.

I'm wary of taking it to a dealer without being well armed with an understanding of what the problem is because I could easily end up spending hundreds on an issue that doesn't actually stop me using the car.

I've tried to read through as many threads as possible and I would assume the problem may lie in the convenience unit. How could I diagnose whether it is really the convenience unit, or whether BOTH keys are faulty? And if I replaced the convenience unit, it is just key re-coding I would need to do, or is there other re-coding that is needed (i.e. is it going to be a dealer visit anyway even if I do the parts swap myself)?

Thanks

Dave

If the battery has been disconnected your problem may simply be that the keys need syncing again. With both not working this is an encouraging sign.

Unlock the car, put the ignition on (engine off) and press the unlock button. Switch the ignition off and press the unlock button again; hopefully this has synced the key and it should work. Try it a few times if not. Failing that it could be that the CCU has been replaced and the original keys are not paired to it.

Hope this helps and is easily resolved.

Darren

Dave

I am in Trowbridge and am more than happy to assist on this for you if the process mentioned by Darren does not work. Welcome to the world of A2, give me a shout if you get stuck on anything, had a few of these cars and have VCDS to assist with coding and diagnostics.

Good luck,

Paul

My son discovered that the right rear passenger door does not lock. I'm wondering whether that might be a cause of the remote locking not working, or a coincidence?

It isn't the door closure microswitch (as the open door dash warning works), so I suppose it is either the lock mechanism, the wiring or the convenience unit that is at fault.

I certainly need to spend a bit of time on this car. Just can't see that I will have any time for a while though!

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

The procedure mentioned by Darren is likely to get all the doors working. I usually unlock the car put down the drivers window, leave the keys in, shut the door, turn to ignition on then hit the buttons (whilst in the ignition) then take back out through the window and try, that normally fixes that.

The problem with the rear door could be the locking mechanism, I have had this a couple of times. If you are happy taking the door to pieces they can be refurbed/cleaned and put back to good use, they also sometimes have broken microswitches. Replacement parts are often available from A2Steve and there are guides on fixing the locking mechanism on the forum. Let us know how you get on. Would be great to see a photo of your bargain.

James.

Back