Rattle from rear suspension

Coolpix

Hi all after a major overhaul of my 2001 1.4 tdi rear suspension I have now got a rattle from the rear suspension
I changed rear shockers rear coil springs rear top mounts and the protection kit
Any ideas it seems worse over rougher roads flat roads no noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all after a major overhaul of my 2001 1.4 tdi rear suspension I have now got a rattle from the rear suspension
I changed rear shockers rear coil springs rear top mounts and the protection kit
Any ideas it seems worse over rougher roads flat roads no noise

First thing to say is BE CAREFUL (sorry if that sounds patronising) because if there is a rattle it MIGHT be something dangerous.

The chances are that it is nothing serious but don't take chances with suspension noises.

What sometimes happens is that the dust cover and bump stop fail (Even brand new OEM ones don't really do a great job and they can fail quite quickly)

But it could be any of the foilowinbg

Loose Shock absorber bolts
Broken spring (this does happen on A2s)
Loose wheel bolts !!

Unlikely but possible, rubber/foam spring cups worn / missing

In short, please get it checked ASAP, I am not trying to scare you, but this needs to be checked before you can be sure that it is safe.

Steve B

Cheers the spring cups are missing they were never there in first place ?

Cheers the spring cups are missing they were never there in first place ?

They must have been left off when the springs have been replaced in the past.
They CAN be a source of a rattle, but the spring tension normally keeps them reasonably tight.

Jack up the side that has the rattle and check that the shock absorber is secure and then carefully try to move the spring and see if it is the source.
You should see the dust cover tube and foam bump stop loose (very common) that could be the source!

Steve B

The rubber and cover are brand new febi parts

It is a poor design and not due to quality issues. They may well still be in place and you can check without jacking it up.

But if I was to spot check 50 A2s, I would bet that 30 of them have loose dust covers / bump stops.

Steve B

Isn't that what cable ties are for ?;)
2ziuf53.jpg

Are you sure it is from the rear of the car? I was pretty sure mine was coming from the rear and the spring rubber mounts did look quite worn, but going over one of those rubber speed bumps in local supermarket car park (Asda in Sinfin as I see you are from Derby) at low speed I realised it was the front that was rattling, think that at normal road speeds you hit a bump and with being such a short wheelbase it makes it seem like the back is the issue.

Mine was simply a worn fron drop link.

Are you sure it is from the rear of the car? I was pretty sure mine was coming from the rear and the spring rubber mounts did look quite worn, but going over one of those rubber speed bumps in local supermarket car park (Asda in Sinfin as I see you are from Derby) at low speed I realised it was the front that was rattling, think that at normal road speeds you hit a bump and with being such a short wheelbase it makes it seem like the back is the issue.

Mine was simply a worn fron drop link.
If it is from the front, it will almost certainly be the drop links worn.
They are around £12 and not too difficult to replace.

Steve B

My rear springs creak. The bottom rubber cups are badly worn/ almost non existent.
I'm replacing them and see how it goes.

I've completely overhauled the front as well it's definitely the rear I'm going strip it next week

i had this, when i toke the spring/shock off and checked it the new shock had a few machine marks near where it bolts to the top mount and i believe this stopped the nut tightening up fully to the shoulders of the top mount even though tightened up properly, once id hit a few pot hols and this must have caused the top mount to seat properly but caused a knocking due to about 1-2mm movement until i re tightened the strut nut again !!!
hope this makes sense !!

Still got noise after removing shocker going to swap over shocks on back see if noise moves side

Just discovered a rattle from the back near side. Drove me nuts trying to think where it was coming from. Checked in here earlier and saw this post. Stuck my hand up and could feel the black cover had dropped. Managed a photo! Is it worth just changing the whole shock once it's off although no problems with it other than the infernal rattle. The cable tie tip looks a good option;)
IMG_1787.JPG

Mine was rattling made me crazy it was the cover loose on shock cut it off

Back