My First Audi A2

rgh-key

Hello All, I have been on the forum for a couple of months now but haven't posted on here yet to introduce myself and my A2 to the forum.

I have had my A2 now for officially 2 week, I purchased it off my wife's Grandad. The car had been sitting unused in the garage for 3 years! He had owned it for 7 years in total.

Details

Audi A2 1.4 TDI
Red Nappa leather seats
Panoramic Sunroof
Bose sound system
174,000 very carefully driven miles :rolleyes:

Had to do a few jobs on it before it was road worthy including, PAS Pump, Front Spring and some general maintenance and titivation.

By far the worst job I have done so far is a repair to the front glass section of the Panoramic Sunroof, at some point in the cars life the glass had been cracked/smashed and someone had painstakingly removed it and replaced it with a piece of perspex, this had peeled up and was worse for ware so I took it to a local shop and had a new piece made, I stuck it to the roof using Strong Stuff glue and sealed around the edges, I was very pleased with the finale result it looked fantastic, however, it wasn't to last, after 15 minutes in the sun last week the Perspex expanded and popped off the roof :( :(

Will have to look into this in the future for now I managed to get some corrugated plastic sheet and stick this to the roof using industrial double sided tape, sealed around the edge with black silicone sealant and covered in vinyl wrap, it's by no means perfect, but it's water tight!

And that's about it for my story so far....

Attachments

• IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Welcome --- my wife white tdi suffered the same damage. We put the car in the garage after cleaning it--on removal to go to an a2oc social she noticed lots of spiders webs on the front glass roof section. I then looked and it was cracking as we looked at it. We were fortunate to be able to claim for a new roof, but I'm sure someone may be able to help you out in fixing it.
Why not pop along to a social and have a chat? audis in the park is only a few weeks away---all are welcome cheers mike

Welcome to the owners club...

just incase you ever want to replace the perspex Ive a spare set of glass for the opensky roof although it has a few scratches on some of the pains of glass that may polish out there all fully intact and id part with peices separately if needed

Ive already got the glass all removed in storage and yes the front section of glass bolts to the frame channels from underneath , easily replaced in a day id say although not a hard job its quite involved as the head lining needs removing to get at the securing bolts which theres about 10x 10mm bolts, and a couple of torx screws at the top then to make life easy you can lift the whole roof off with a few helpers and replace the front glass and refit in the reverse order

I have read somewhere that you need a frame to stop the chassis from flexing when removing the OSS is that something you have done?

I think what youv read is what AUDI use to lift the roofs out with, not to support the A2s chassie, i just open the roof and remove both sliding pains of glass and then lift the whole roof off with one person on each corner , theres not much weight in the front and rear glasses or alloy channels so personaly could not see anything untoward happening if your carefull , its not like your going to be throwing it about lol

Welcome to the club rgh-key, hope you get the glass sorted. You are in the right place the wealth of knowledge from this club is amazing.
Regards Spud

Back