Changed my gearbox oil with MT-90 oil today.

Pras

A2OC Donor
I started to have trouble with 3rd gear.
Searching revealed synchromesh issue.

Had nothing to lose so tried some MT-90 oil supposed to help with it and so far it has been fine!

Only done 10 miles since the oil change but no problems.

Didn't buy the expensive red line MT-90 stuff either.

Out with the old in with the new:
rk4ums.jpg

Old stuff was very brown. New fluid is red, flushed a liter through as the whole 5l was cheap enough.

Last edited:
Gearbox oil on mine changed a few months ago, still an occasional 3rd gear problem so that's a gear change not to be rushed.
Got my oil from a VW dealer, £8 per litre.

Having the same issue on our 150k mile a2, going to try a change so may as well try this! Thanks :)

This is always my first response to iffy gear changes. A2 cars at Milton Keynes did mine a few years ago now all is sweet with my gears. Definitely worth doing the difference is amazing.

Did this, seemed better after the change but i'll give it a week and see as its normally the first 3rd gear shift of the day.

fill plug is on the front of the gearbox, large allen key, drain is under the dog bone mount, same size allen key.

undo the fill first!!! if you drain the oil and then can't undo the fill...

filling requires one of the 1litre gearbox oil bottles with the long spout or a funnel connected to a long tube.... or a pump.

i'll do another change in a few thousand miles to really freshen it up when its due its next oil change

Hi guys I have read this right havnt I..?
The total amount to fill the g/box is 1.9. ltr?....Just doesn't seem a lot to me..lol

Hi guys I have read this right havnt I..?
The total amount to fill the g/box is 1.9. ltr?....Just doesn't seem a lot to me..lol

If the box was completley empty it would take 1.9 litres to fill it till it overflows but if doing a oil change you'lll struggle to get much more than 1.8 litres in there as some oil stays within the box apparently. If your looking to order the right amount for your gearbox/ dmf overhaul you'll need to buy 2 x 1 litre bottles and no more, you will definitely end up with a little left over if this is the reason for your query.

Reactions: bob
If the box was completley empty it would take 1.9 litres to fill it till it overflows but if doing a oil change you'lll struggle to get much more than 1.8 litres in there as some oil stays within the box apparently. If your looking to order the right amount for your gearbox/ dmf overhaul you'll need to buy 2 x 1 litre bottles and no more, you will definitely end up with a little left over if this is the reason for your query.
Thank you for that yes I will change the oil, but just wanted to check it would only take 2xltr bottles....I will get some sorted..thank you

... and the recommendation from the german site is definitively standard stuff (it's cheap enough!) or TAF-X but nothing else. Even the TAF doesn't appear to bring any benefits.

- Bret

Reactions: bob
Agree with Bret. The genuine Audi/VW gearbox oil seems to be much thinner than even the quality synthetic 75w90 brands.
Not much difference in warm weather but in my experience, winter the gearchange can become a bit notchy.
I've tried Castrol and Amsoil but quickly reverted back to Audi

Cheers Spike

Bob Brett and Spike, my apologies for late night brain, that stuff was the link for the S6 gearbox oil i had changed a few weeks later and is most definitely the wrong stuff to put in a A2!

This was the stuff went in the 1.6 A2. No problems so far and your not even conscious of using the gearbox it's that good.The same stuff went into the 1.4 and over last winter it was perfect no notchiness at all.

Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75W Manual Transmission Fluid Gear Oil MTF GL4 1L

Hi there

Can any one show me where the bleed plug is located to drain the gear box oil and how to top up ?

some pics would be greatly appreciated as I dont have a manual.

Back