Inconsistent radio reception and random wiring!

Hi

I'm trying to get my head around what may be the cause of the inconsistent radio reception in my A2.

The car has an aftermarket JVC head unit fitted. It is only a couple of years old at most (not fitted by me), but it is cheap (KD-R461 - 50 quid or so).

The radio reception is good when there is a good signal. But the auto-seek doesn't find many stations.

However if you go into an area where there is anything other than a good signal, the reception drops away completely. You can turn a corner and lose it.

I'm not sure if the cause is the cheap radio, or a poor antenna installation.

Reading around suggests that an antenna amplifier (PC5-52) should be fitted. There isn't one "obviously" fitted but there are a few random wires in the loom!

IMG_20170629_201231391.jpg

There is a red lead which I assume is related to a prior installation because I'm pretty sure it is linked solely to two extra fuses that have been added to the fuse box.

There is a brown lead which is connected to nothing.

There is a red multi connector with two cables going into it.

There are the brown and black connectors that are connected to the radio.

There is an antenna lead.

Do I need an amplifier? Is there an obvious place to tap into the 12v feed?

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about the wires doing nothing as these are soley for audi stereo, I used a small cylinder amp which in line convertor which powers up from blue /white wire from the jvc headunit (the current draw of amplifier is minimal ) so can run off this remote amp outlet , I take it the stereo stays on without ignition or has the ignition feed been added in as the a2 is not wired with one

Sometimes when an aftermarket stereo is installed they forget that an adaptor lead for the rear aerial amp is required resulting in very poor signal strength. I installed one of these and it fixed the problem!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-CABR...127292?hash=item2a16adfb7c:g:mqkAAOSw6n5Xp2Uk

Good luck Geoff

that's the exact part I used except mine was for din to iso convertor , the blue wire connects to blue/white of head unit if not there connect to ignition feed ,

In the end I've used a PC5-90 which terminates in a DIN connector which fits the JVC head unit without an adaptor.

Turned out to be easier to install than suggested by the instructional eBay video I found. There is a gap in the ISO block connector which means you can slot in the blue wire from the antenna booster so that it connects directly to the blue/white wire from the head unit. No soldering/crimping required.

Much better radio reception! Picking up everything loud and clear.
IMG_20170703_170947051.jpg

Back