Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Stuttering Hesitation at Constant Speed (Tdi)

Engine Stuttering Hesitation at Constant Speed (Tdi)

Chaps

An issue cropped up that has got progessively worse. Originally I noticed a sort of stutter in the engine when I was driving on the motorway at constant speed. No difference to acceleration as it pulled like a train.

As the days have gone on the stutter/hesitation has been noticeable at town speeds and sometimes during light acceleration under 30mph. Seems to come on when the engine has warmed up. Starting and hard acceleration and there is no apparent issue. Rock solid tick over.

I did think fuel filter/dodgy fuel but its inconsistent and some qucik searches have led to me to suspect other things. Car is on 150k, faultless up to this point, fuel filter changed at 80k (but looked brand new), original glow plugs etc.

There's no sign (yet) it will cut out on me but just be somewhat erratic however I've got a couple of long distance trips coming up.

Any suggestions as the best place to start?
    At the Annexe: 2004 TDI SE (90Bhp) Mauritius Blue, 16" 5 Spoke alloys, Satellite cloth, Parrot Bluetooth
    On the Drive: 2004 TDI SE Mauritius Blue, Black cloth, Concert II, CC, Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth (Fitted by Skipton) & 2003 TDI SE, Cobalt Blue, Black Leather, Sydmeko armrest, PDC, DIS, Alu Pack, S3 Leather Gear Shift, CC, Concert II, Parrot, Performance Discs, Stealth re-map. Bought from here courtesy of Havank.
    In the Garage: 1993 Porsche 964 Celebration. Polar Silver, Big Hips

You have changed a fuel filter in 70k miles?
    I change mine every service which tbf is a bit oTT but keeps the injectors clean

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    2004 TDI 90 Sport Ebony,Cruise,2 tone Bosch fanfare horns,HID's,TT pedals,
    Kirin98s imported matching foot pedal,Koni's,Brembo discs n pads,14" alloys unleashed for summer

as youv done 70k since last changed ....change the fuel filter first and then see how she goes apart from that injector loom is the only other common fault to cause a missfire

It's got fuel filter written all over it !

5. Users that liked this post:

rosscanning (30-06-2017)

I thought the service schedule on the fuel filter is every 80k miles? It was a complete PITA last time and given what came off I'm doubting the filter will be clogged, however I will give it a change.

I've heard things like injector wiring loom, MAF clogged or EGR clogged that could cause the same symptoms. How can I diagnose these, particularly the wiring loom?
    At the Annexe: 2004 TDI SE (90Bhp) Mauritius Blue, 16" 5 Spoke alloys, Satellite cloth, Parrot Bluetooth
    On the Drive: 2004 TDI SE Mauritius Blue, Black cloth, Concert II, CC, Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth (Fitted by Skipton) & 2003 TDI SE, Cobalt Blue, Black Leather, Sydmeko armrest, PDC, DIS, Alu Pack, S3 Leather Gear Shift, CC, Concert II, Parrot, Performance Discs, Stealth re-map. Bought from here courtesy of Havank.

I took my injector loom out cleaned it and put it back been fine since so free fix there.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Some further info. Car was fine today but as the engine starts to get warm then it starts to stutter. I'm thinking less a fuel filter issue as its inconsistent and more the wiring loom where heat might break the connection briefly?

Hi 'foghorn',

I have/had exact symptoms, Although it didn't matter wether engine was warm.

I decidied after driving nearly 10k miles like this enough was enough, I was going to tackle fuel first so I changed filter today and you wouldn't believe the black gunk on underside of the lid and the filter well you can guess. Cleaned it all up popped new filter in snapped small screw �� never mind. Took a while for engine to fire (waiting for fuel) drove to shell, filled up with V power diesel and after 100miles on i have full boost no shuddering at all.

I would consider trying this first, only 20 for new filter and around 1hours fitting ����

Pictures to show you the amount of dirt in fuel filter:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	630.9 KB 
ID:	29730 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	744.6 KB 
ID:	29731
    Last edited by rosscanning; 01-07-2017 at 07:46 PM.

10. Users that liked this post:

JIGSAW (01-07-2017)

Have you managed to change your fuel filter 'foghorn'?

Would be great to hear from you and see if this has solved the issue with your A2

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
    I thought the service schedule on the fuel filter is every 80k miles? It was a complete PITA last time and given what came off I'm doubting the filter will be clogged, however I will give it a change.

I've heard things like injector wiring loom, MAF clogged or EGR clogged that could cause the same symptoms. How can I diagnose these, particularly the wiring loom?
    Regarding the MAF - remove the connector to the MAF, engine will then run an a default MAF map, if it runs better with the MAF disconnected then it would be worth cleaning / changing it
    Regarding EGR, assuming the AMF engine, remove and blank the vacuum pipe to the EGR, this will effectively remove the EGR from working, engine will likely run better without the EGR and will certainly be cleaner in the inlet manifold, some state it will take longer to warm up, but I have not seen anything noticeable other than a cleaner running engine and no mooing noise.

As for the wiring loom, that is some what more difficult, you could remove and clean it, but it is only about 60 new so having removed it I would replace it with new, even if it does not remove the problem at least you know that the loom is OK and it will have removed a common failure mode for the future.
    Cheers,
    Paul (Depronman)
    1.4 TDI 2001 287,347 miles and still going strong