Collent leak? Help needed.

Hi
I have an audi a2 1.6 FSI 2003. I have a problem with losing water. Over the past couple of days I have had to top the water up(about 500ml) each time. I can not se an obvious leak. The water disappears
, and I top it up. Did this twice. The second time, I stopped at the side of the road as the water warning light had come on. When I looked the expansion tank was empty. Then as I slowly undid the cap, the water came back. Not clever enough to know what it happening. I've now parked the car up and not used it. I don't want to damage it. I've had a quick look on the we, and lots it could be from the Thermostat, to the head gasket, to the head being warped. If it is as simple as the thermostat I'm happy to do it, but not sure how to diagnose. Is it time to say goodbye to my beloved A2?
Thank you in anticipation

Hi check for split hoses as I had them split on 4 separate occasions as I replaced one the next in line would split.
It is an issue with the 1.6 Fsi not had any problems since I have also considered custom high pressure hoses but never got round to it.

Cheers

Steven

The most common leaks are from the plastic "Y" pieces to the left of the engine, but the worse one is the pipe that goes behind the engine (plastic) that takes a lot of labour to replace!.

Steve B

If you can't see the leak and when you undid the cap it came back I would suspect the water pump is on its way. If it sort it asap or you risk snapping the cambelt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If u drive it for a while and stop does it smoke from the bonnet? Usually in the passenger corner or drivers corner, then the leak is the pipe and it's split, if u can get under the drivers side wheel and look up near corner or look down on undertray on drivers side and see a puddle of coolent or looks wet it's probably the water pump hope this helps if it is the plastic pipe at back then good luck lol it's a hard job and I would say to the thermostat housing as Well as they snap

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

the one rear plastic one you speak off is it a plastic connetcion as the Y one. ? can it burst like the Y connection. ?

// jimmi

the one rear plastic one you speak off is it a plastic connetcion as the Y one. ? can it burst like the Y connection. ?

// jimmi
It won't burst it just cracks and gets brittle over time, when I done pipe at back off our 1.6 fsi mine had such a hairline crack but was enuf to leak and loose water, so when changed it u need take off thermostat housing and I snapped a pipe of that cause so brittle and weak, the pipe at back can go any time tho when finally got mine off the connector that goes into water pump housing mine fell apart...

Ok! so i went to the car workshop for a service and to do a serch for the leak . It was the plastic pipe behinde the engine... and they will change my temp sender.. super nice.. :) total price 450eur.

That's a fair price. My pipe had the same crack buy I had to pay much more. They ended up replacing the thermostat housing as well.

That's a fair price. My pipe had the same crack buy I had to pay much more. They ended up replacing the thermostat housing as well.
Yh both are usually weak after it starts to leak, I managed to do the job myself but what a pig took me 3 weeks on and off doing other stuff, I managed get hold of genuine part buy mahle with number crossed out 120 In all pipe and stat, then had buy coolent and some gaskets, but what a pig, bleeding it was a nightmare but after few drives and letting fan cut in all was ok, but good price

Nooooo they have to change the termostate housing aswell as Setaman wrote... even that one is made in that chitty plastic..
But the pipe is now in aluminium.. so it will last longer then the car ;)

To change the housing was madly expensive.. just the work is 4h and the housing.... omg!! Audi charges 500eur...!! so i manege to get one from aoutodoc for 150eur..
They now feel bad for me so i will get e big discount .. service , change the pipe and the housing. 780eur..

The Fsi engine is expensive to maintain, I have replaced, Spark plugs, Ignition Coils, Injectors, Thermostat housing, Coolant pipe, Fuel pressure regulator, High pressure control valve, high pressure sensor and fuel lift pump. I have cleaned upper and lower intake manifold and the throttle valve.

Now it is running like new, but I still have to replace is the Cam Belt, Tensioner and Coolant pump. But first I need to refurbished the OSS.

This is indeed an expensive hobby!

Nooooo they have to change the termostate housing aswell as Setaman wrote... even that one is made in that chitty plastic..
But the pipe is now in aluminium.. so it will last longer then the car ;)

To change the housing was madly expensive.. just the work is 4h and the housing.... omg!! Audi charges 500eur...!! so i manege to get one from aoutodoc for 150eur..
They now feel bad for me so i will get e big discount .. service , change the pipe and the housing. 780eur..

Most interested in you comment on the notorious coolant pipe is now also available in aluminium.
I plan to change one in August and would be grateful for any information where I could buy an aluminium version.

Andy

Last edited:
so heres the faulty pipe and the thermostat housing to the top.. and there were some craks aswell 800eur less.. But if you order the thermostat housing from aoutodoc 180 eur. you will get it completed with the thermosat and the tem sender !!! IMG_7334.JPG

Last edited:
Back