Whats Missing and what do I need to do to fix it?

AudA2Numpty

A2OC Donor
So I buy an A2 two days ago in a very poor cosmetic condition.

Driving it revealed a rattle the drop links and suspension are solid.
Looking underneath revealed the undertray hanging off so after 2 hours of removing the final rusted worn nut and a 10mm socket head which pinged off and hit me in the forehead the undertray was off.

Sadly it was too late and too dark for me to see anything under the engine bay last night so this morning I had a slightly better look.
I found two things I found the rattle which appears to be the driveshaft shield which is quite loose and possibly missing a part?
I also found that the right drive shaft cv boot (inside by the shield) is possibly missing a clamp because there is grease splattered everywhere from it. Not sure if I have to replace the driveshaft or just secure the boot with a clamp?

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_4585.JPG

I had the same problem with the shield, seems the bolt hole gets baggy over time therefore a rattle appears!
I took mine off hit it right over the hole with a hammer & that seems to fix the rattle

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I also had the rattle heat shield, I took it off and used a couple of penny washers on each of the two fixing bolts, one on either side, once the fixing bolts are tightened the shield is solid and rattles no more.
The drive shaft boot is indeed missing its clip, you can sometimes get away with a 6mm wide tie rap, but the metal clips are MUCH better, cheapest way to get the clips is as part of a boot kit, about £7 per boot kit on ebay. If you don't have the correct tool for pulling the clip tight a pair of old fashion wood working pincers does the job perfectly well

Cheers

Awesome cheers guys.

Among my dads many really old tools and brik a brak I found a wide cable tie as a temporary measure.
The 16mm (I think) bolt is stuck fast and I had no way of efficiently getting it off.

The wife has now stolen the car for a trip down to Woolacombe for a week so it will now have to wait until she gets back.

Mental I spend two days cleaning it and the wife gets the first long drive in her. Humph.

Just a point on the droplinks, it can be quite difficult to tell on whether they are actually good unless you take one end off.

Just a point on the droplinks, it can be quite difficult to tell on whether they are actually good unless you take one end off.

Good point, I forgot about that.

The ones on this car are the newer and older shaped ones. The newer seem to be the u shaped version and the older seemed to be the solid round version.
The rubbers looked ok but my next port, once I'd fixed the transmission shield, (whenever the car comes back) will be to explore the rest of the car. Plus it needs a proper service. TPS is my next visit today probably. Maybe I'll pop past A2 cars too to see if Tony is in yet?

Eureka. Hopefully.

I finally got the car back from the wifes trip to Cornwall.

BTW she had done 500 miles did not fill up the car and still did 61mpg.
That was with a missing undertray and bad oil temp sensor!
Got my tools and managed to remove the shield via the two 16mm bolts. The metal ring mounts the bolts go through are super loose and have about 2mm of play in them.

With them still off the car a test drive revealed an off side droplink ratlle. Could not tell before due to the heat shielld rattling away directly under my feat.

So as suggested I have got some washers and will head off to TPS on Monday to pick up a new pair of droplinks. No sense just getting one as then I know they both been done at the same time.
Unless thats bad logic and poor economics?

Last edited:
Back