Before I go and do something stupid.

AudA2Numpty

A2OC Donor
I have 5 really sh**y scuffed wheels and am thinking of trying to unscuff them and respray (lacquer) them myself.
The tyres on it are 185/50/R16's which to me is not enough rubber to protect the rims from kerb rash.

This example is one of the best undamaged ones.

IMG_4587.jpg

I once paid for x4 A2 competition wheels to be 'professionally' refurbed and painted mat black and although it was a nice job, I was stung on the price. Although the price was mentioned at the beginning, when it came to the paperwork, it took the usual turn of lot's of forgotten to mention, added extras so am hoping to avoid that this time around.

As I have a spare knacked alloy wheel I thought I'd have a play with that first as I've got nothing to lose.

Any hints or tips before I run riot with my dremel?
Though I need to mention I have many more pressing things to do on this car before the wheels so there is time for your venerable sages to metaphorically whack me over the head before I do something questionable.

Last edited:
There are loads of good self help videos on YouTube which I watched first.

I did it with some TT alloys I bought so that I could take my time. And that is the rub - the lacquer says to give it two weeks of hardening time before refitting ! Each layer of paint is 24 hours and every time you wash them they need to dry!

Actually sanding them down and painting was pretty easy but if you need to do any filling I wouldn't try it unless you are okay with 'it's better but not perfect!

I used a triangle sanding pad on a multi tool for the really bad stuff and then got some high grit 800 Velcro circle pads to finish. The metal is really soft so keeping from gouging or getting flat spots is a challenge. I found actually doing it by hand with the low grit stuff was easiest to shape the alloy more controllably - and pause to look from a different angle occasionally - then the multitool to finish and smooth.

There are still marks on mine but they are MUCH better and it was a total cost of about £45 for all 4. I bought paper, paint, filler, lacquer and isopropyl (to degrease) as well as the sanding pads.

It was actually quite fun but 4 takes up a lot of room - one would be easy at a time.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

053b626025885e39c41c7227f526c332.jpg

Ps. Plastic backed playing cards wedged between tyre and alloy are good for easy masking.

If you can demount the wheel and hang the alloy with a bolt though the valve hole it will be A LOT easier but I don't have a workspace.

I gave plast-dip a look. I got black Matt rubber to give a soft touch feel to my rebuilt light switch.

The videos looked cool and it went on really easily but I found it wasn't very durable at all. A fingernail could poke a hole and once it was holed it came away really easily. Maybe a few more layers would have prevented it but it also came away at the edges a bit and started to self-peel in the corners.

Definitely super easy but I don't think it'll last and the paint isn't that cheap. Bright side though - it just pulls off to leave the original finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was going to ask if this would be good to fix the climate controls and headlight controls as mine have rubbed off.

I gave plast-dip a look. I got black Matt rubber to give a soft touch feel to my rebuilt light switch.

The videos looked cool and it went on really easily but I found it wasn't very durable at all. A fingernail could poke a hole and once it was holed it came away really easily. Maybe a few more layers would have prevented it but it also came away at the edges a bit and started to self-peel in the corners.

Definitely super easy but I don't think it'll last and the paint isn't that cheap. Bright side though - it just pulls off to leave the original finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I skooshed some into the lid and let it evaporate a little then applied it to the buttons with a very fine brush. I painted around the symbols and recreated the missing ones so the light still shines through the gaps.

The colour isn't perfect but it looks pretty good and at night the illumination is spot on. C

Back