Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenSky Repair - Any Updates?

Question OpenSky Repair - Any Updates?

I know there were a number of people looking at repairing the usual OpenSky skipping/juddering/sticking problems - what's the current situation regarding a cost-effective solution?
    2004 1.6 FSI Sport Ebony Black pearl, Black Pearl Nappa leather, Symphony II, BOSE, Heated seats, Electric rear windows, Front foglights, Drivers Information System, Electronic climate control, Illuminated vanity mirrors, Open-Sky, Luggage compartment floor, Rear cup holder, 17" Avus wheels

If you are able to do the work yourself, the most cost effective solution is to just replace the whole roof as one unit. When I have then available I sell them for 175 as a complete unit.
    Steve
    0779zero965448

Lots of parts/spares for sale - please click the link

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread...equest-A2Steve

2004 TDi 140 SE - Ipanema brown full respray, turbo technics hybrid turbo, darkside developments custom cam, powerflow 2.5 inch stainless exhaust, drilled/grooved discs front and back, yellowstuff pads, H&R front and rear anti-roll bars, 18 inch Audi R8 alloys, opensky, BOSE, cruise and sports interior.

Thanks Steve - that's an option, although there's the chance the replacement goes bad too. I know there was talk of different guides etc. being used - my roof opens and closes, but sometimes needs a hand to do so squarely.
    2004 1.6 FSI Sport Ebony Black pearl, Black Pearl Nappa leather, Symphony II, BOSE, Heated seats, Electric rear windows, Front foglights, Drivers Information System, Electronic climate control, Illuminated vanity mirrors, Open-Sky, Luggage compartment floor, Rear cup holder, 17" Avus wheels

this page should be a good starting point: https://wiki.a2-freun.de/wiki/index.php/Open_Sky_System

- Bret
    Do not expect spoonfeeding, you will be disappointed.

2002 Petrol. Modded inside. 'nuff said.
    German A2 Forum Administrator.

5. Users that liked this post:

spike (10-07-2017)

Thanks Bret - seems some of the links on that page are broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Thanks Steve - that's an option, although there's the chance the replacement goes bad too. I know there was talk of different guides etc. being used - my roof opens and closes, but sometimes needs a hand to do so squarely.
    At 175 for a complete and working roof it is worth buying one when available, reconditioning it and fitting it, rather than stripping down yours and having the car off the road for a while and possibly hitting problems with reconditioning your current roof?

Just a thought.

Steve B
    Last edited by Birchall; 13-07-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

Possibly, but it's a pretty involved solution.

Possibly, but it's a pretty involved solution.
    Yes, but there is a lot involved either way, you will have to strip the old OSS down to its bare essentials anyway, hit a problem part way through and you car is off the road for a long while.

Recondition one off the car and then swap it over all checked out before you take your car into the garage to swap it over and it is a bolt off and bolt on job.

But I can see why you are hesitating.

Steve B
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

Thanks Bret - seems some of the links on that page are broken.
    specify, please, and I'll get them fixed. I haven't been through it in detail in some time.

- Bret
    Do not expect spoonfeeding, you will be disappointed.

2002 Petrol. Modded inside. 'nuff said.
    German A2 Forum Administrator.

I have decided after 5 months that it's time to fix my opensky. When I click the switch nothing happens. Not even the sound of the motor trying. I've checked fuse 8 and it's fine. Behind the interior light there is a blue plug hanging not plugged into anything. Could this be part of the problem?