Audi A2 1.4 TDI Gearbox 3rd Gear Crunch

rgh-key

I have noticed that if I change from 2nd gear to 3rd gear quickly my A2 always crunches into gear, at first I though I was not pressing the clutch down far enough causing the gears to catch, however on my way into work this morning I noticed it seemed to only happen if I changed up through the gears quickly. If you depress the clutch and gently select 3rd gear it goes in fine without any issues. I am assuming that this problem is because the 3rd gear syncromesh is worn after completing 174,000 miles. I hate crunching the gears as I get paranoid about all the metal shards that will be circulating around the gearbox no doubt doing it no good, this issue keeps catching me out when I least expect it there will be a crunch into gear!

I wondered is an oil change might help to sort the issue. Does anyone know what gearbox oil these take, and also where the filler and drain points are?

Interested in the replies to this as my 1.4tdi does the same when cold, although more so with my OH than with me oddly enough.... I have read that an oil change can help and will be doing this.

I have just had the oil changed and normally have the 3rd gear crunch. To be honest I've adapted to avoid a hard pull into 3rd as I don't like the noise but I'll keep an ear out to see if it is any better since the oil change.

Gear selection is certainly smoother though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd do the following

1. change the oil
2. do the gear adjust reset (in the how-to section)
3. check its not the gear selector bearing worn due to water dripping on it from a misplaced bonnet drain
4. Change the box for a polo bluemotion box or a VAG MYP 6 speed box because the synchro is naffed.

What oil do I need for the gearbox, and where can I get some from Audi seem to think it's "sealed for life"

This is a very common fault, it is a worn synchromesh on third gear.

Changing the oil MIGHT help a little but once it has started to crunch that is it.

BUT you can live with this for a long time before it causes any significant harm.

Especially if you just get into the habit of changing gear slowly (not painfully slowly, just slower than usual).

I have had reconditioned gearboxes in the past to try and resolve this and they were fine at first but BOTH developed a significant problem and the gearbox became useless (one lost 5 th gear altogether (sheered the teeth off it.) The other started rattling loudly.

So I would take it to a trusted local gearbox guy to get him to replace the third gear synchro.

But it is a couple of hundred pounds to take the gearbox off and then back on again, over £100 for a new clutch (basically a must if you have the gearbox off anyway, and the cost of the parts and labour. So probably in the region of £600 at least.

So changing gear slowly and perhaps some thicker oil, night buy you a couple of years more use and may be the best option.

Steve B

I might just do this for now Birchall, I do want to change the oil after 174,000 miles and 15 years it can't be much good. Before I had the Cam Belt done when I was driving it very gingerly I didn't notice the issue, I can certainly learn to select 3rd gear with a little less haste, just will take some getting used to but I'm sure will become second nature moving forwards. As I said previously could just do with a pointer of where to get the oil from and what grade the car uses. Will try this first and if it does nothing will look at getting the gearbox reconditioned in the future.

There seems to be a lot of past post mentioning Castrol TAF-X SAE 75W-90 API:GL4 VW501 50

Is that the right stuff?

IF it helps ive 2 tdi 75hp gearboxes spare , ones got just over 78,000 miles and the other has 123,000 miles on her but fully working and no issues .. £140 on the 78,000 and £100 on the 124,000 box

Thanks for the offer JIGSAW going to try the oil change 1st. Ordered some Castrol Oil and a 17mm hex drain key, hopefully get it changed over this weekend and see what that does for me. Will keep it in mind though may have to wait until pay day haha

Quick update, oil will be here tomorrow, calling in a WOM Automotive on Friday afternoon to get the gear oil changed. Fingers crossed it helps to smooth things out a little. Will keep you posted

So Marcus as WOM Automotive has worked his magic and changed the gearbox oil in my A2 and I have to say that there is a durastic change in the feel of the gearbox. There is still a notchy feeling when going into 3rd gear and I haven't chanced my luck yet by doing a quick shift as I don't want shards off 3rd gear in my new oil, but the other gears feels a lot smoother to engage with no notchiness at all, plus it's no longer a challenge to engage reverse gear just slides straight in. Was definitely worth doing even just for the peace of mind that it's been done.

I've got the 3rd gear crunch as well but only if I rush the gearchange. I'll get my local garage to change the gearbox oil, got the right specification oil from a VW garage, it was less than £10 per litre. Must be the original oil at the moment and with 221,000 on the clock it can't be as effective as new.

I changed mine and it did absolutely nothing the 3rd gear crunch is just a fault with these cars I'm getting mine repaired at some point.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,
Please help me, I have a problem with my A2 1.4 TDi AMF.
When the engine is cold and I want to put the first speed in the gearbox, it enter too hard, I have to force it.
But when the engine runs 20 min it enter easy in the first speed, and I had sometimes this problem when I come from speed 4 to 3, I have to push the gearshift strong to can enter in speed 3.
What do you think is it?What can I do in this case?
Thank you in advance.

I had a similar thing with my new (to me) 1.4 TDI ...hard to get it into 1st and 3rd ( more effort than normal)

Its been mentioned earlier in this thread about adjusting the gear change cables..I’ve done this and now the gear change is much improved, still get a crunch if I put it into 3rd too quickly, but I can live with it
Hello Bryn
Thank you for the info, I will adjust the cables and I will post again.
I find this post what can help me to do the adjustment.

Thank's a lot.

Back