Air con woes!

rosiedog

A2OC Donor
My air conditioning is still not working as it should. Replaced the compressor because it was leaking. All is well with that and is holding pressure, fan is working ok.
The problem now is it only works for about five minutes and just fades away . Leave the car for a time and it works again for a few minutes. Any help advice would be appreciated, many thanks Graham..:(

when you say "fades away" are you referring to the ice cold are going away to just normal outside temp air that is not cold?

It starts off ice cold and then warms up to outside temperature.
Thanks for the reply.

I've seen something about a G60? Censor. What's its purpose? , and where is it anyone ?
It's too hot to drive without aircon, the temperature in the garden is 32c at the moment 15-25pm. Help ! !

Diagnostic should indicate which bit is the problem, there are a few sensors and motors with actuators which make up the Climate Control - any one of them could cause issues that you describe.

Hi, has anybody got electric schematic of the controls/electrics of the airco? Maybe I can help with a multi meter this weekend?

Sheesh, no.

Scan, seriously.

A brief explanation of the problem:
Your Microcontroller in the Climate unit has several inputs. Desired_temp, present_temp, engine_coolant_temp, outside_temp, sun_status, eco, footwell_out_temp, screen_out_temp, vent_out_temp, central_flap_position, temp_flap_position, recirc_flap_position, among others.

If *any* of those position readings are inconsistent or implausible, your desired_temp will not happen.
The position readings are taken by the relative position of the wiper of a potentiometer, which is moved as the flap moves. Now what is plausible and what is not has been seen elsewhere to be virtually impossible to detect with a meter. I have no idea of the frequency with which the position information is requested (though I suspect it's of the order of several Hz). If I remember correctly, it's 300 Ohm pots or so.

Seriously, don't waste time. Get a scan completed, work out which pot is at fault and replace the flap. All the motors are the same, it just has a different tongue on it; a temporary respite *may* be gained by exercising the flaps through (in VCDS, go through to the climate control unit, and hit 000 in measuring block 1). It is probably easier if you take the dash out, but it's not really necessary.
If I remember correctly, there's the temperature flap, the recirc flap, the central flap (for up, down, vents) and there might be one more. Normally it's the temperature flap which is dodgy, though the central one also goes over time.
If the Aircon is not gassed properly, you'll also see that in VCDS... so scan.

As far as the multimeter is concerned - the A2 is already the generation where you're not going to get far without an osci and a deb u g g e r for the messages.

- Bret

Whilst @rosiedog is getting the scan results, a slight swerve regarding maintenance of the climate control system.

Maybe a couple of times per year I "exercise" my climate control system by turning up the temperature to 'HI' and spending a few minutes cycling through the flap settings: defrost, central, footwell, and in combinations e.g. defrost and footwell. I then run the system on 'LO' for a few minutes using the Auto mode.
My servicing garage changes the pollen filter at each (10,000 mile/annual) service, which I presume keeps a lot of grot out of the system.

Are there any other preventative maintenance regimes which people follow?

Andrew

Last edited:
THe scan found an intermittent fault on G263 censor. When the day gets somewhat cooler I will be trying to get to it. ! !...

I'm planning on trying this myself soon - once I work out what I need to remove and convince my rubber-handed wife to put her delicate lady-fingers to the task! I'll let you know (in a couple of months probably...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

having removed the G263 sensor from a breaker with the dash removed it was a struggle, with the dash in place I would have said it was impossible, but it has been done and respect to anyone who manages it.
Having remove the dash to replace with a 2Din dash to be honest I would simply remove the dash to change the G263 sensor and therefore leave the skin on my hands and fingers :)

best of luck to all G263 replacers

cheers

Yippee aircon is now working as it should, what a relief.
First I removed the G263 from my donor car, very difficult, removed the clutch and brake switches. Seat right back, I laid upside down feet up in the air and managed to get my hand in and remove connection and then the censor.
The job was a lot easier and quicker the second time.
Thanks for all the info posted, don't know how I would have managed otherwise.
Thanks a million all.

Back