Retrofitting Front Fogs

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I just bought a kit of parts to do this and I have used these before.

For £80 you get two new (non OEM but good enough quality) front fog units
New bulbs (but I prefer the 100W blue bulbs)#
New OEM front panels

£80 and 15 minutes of effort to fit them, then the wiring loom has to be sorted (but I am leaving mine inconn3ected until Tom visits again).

You just need 4 nuts and bolts (or captive metal clips and 4 bolts)

From this

IMG_0566.JPG

To this
IMG_0567.JPG

Steve B

Last edited:
What about if you have existing fogged up fogs (lens misted) - is this the best replacement route?

Simon.

What about if you have existing fogged up fogs (lens misted) - is this the best replacement route?

Simon.

I had a fog full of water for six months after a bit of glasgow street-based fording (it came up to the door seals but I had to drive round all the other stick and dead cars - well done A2!)

I planned to strip it out and respray the corroded reflector. When I put it back I'm going to put some silicone sachets in as well to keep moisture down.

I got a bag of these little desiccant pouches and pop a couple in each time I change a bulb (and remove the old ones) to keep condensation away. :)

Hidden obviously !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good Steve.
Is is the kit from ebay? I've been watching one for a few days. The price is very keen and it's good to know the quality is ok. I was concerned it may be naff, but with an endorsement from a member, I 'm more comfortable going ahead with the purchase.

I assume the wiring job is fairly straightforward (and cheap?) for someone who knows what they're doing?

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve

yes i paid £80.99 a few days ago for the kit on eBay.

The clack covers are OEM parts and the lamp units are certainly good enough.

I leave wiring to people people who are good at it, but apparently there is a loom available (from Germany I believe) for £25 and that is plug and play. But you need a headlight switch unit that has the front fog light position. (You will see two fog icons on it if it has the front fog option).

Or as you did! buy the Auto headlight kit I sell for £30 including postage and that has the fog positions too.

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi Steve

yes i paid £80.99 a few days ago for the kit on eBay.

The clack covers are OEM parts and the lamp units are certainly good enough.

I leave wiring to people people who are good at it, but apparently there is a loom available (from Germany I believe) for £25 and that is plug and play. But you need a headlight switch unit that has the front fog light position. (You will see two fog icons on it if it has the front fog option).

Or as you did! buy the Auto headlight kit I sell for £30 including postage and that has the fog positions too.

Steve B

Hiya Steve,

If possible, could you please post a link to this loom that alleges to be plug-n-play for the A2. Knowing how this retrofit is done on the A2, I don't see how a plug-n-play loom is possible.
I've been asked to fit a supposed plug-n-play loom before by a few members and it's always been a loom for the mk4 Golf. The connectors were wrong and all the lengths were also wrong.

Cheers,

Tom

The connectors were wrong and all the lengths were also wrong.

Cheers,

Tom

So more of a bit of wire than a loom!!!

I am only going on secondhand information that was posted recently, I don't know who supplies it.

I will see if I can find out.

Steve B

Just found the details, but not the link

"The sellers name on ebay is tuning-fanatics-shop. He's a german seller. He has some for sale. Same price £25 plus postage. "

Steve B

Good find but i wonder if it could be an issue of a left hand drive version loom trying to be fitted to a right hand drive? I have had two of those fog light kits and they are excellent value. I now need my new daily driver wiring up for fogs. cheers mike

This is the link to the loom and it is listed as for the Audi A2?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kabel-Kabelbaum-Nebelscheinwerfer-NSW-Audi-A2-8Z-/261538804490

The "Plug and Play" coment is my fault, I meant to say a loom tailored for the A2. I don't think it claims to be plug and play and I can see the Pins in the picture.

Steve B

Thanks Steve.

Unfortunately, those connectors are wrong, and the 'tails' end of the loom in the photo isn't right either, so I don't know how this can be specific for an A2. I think some sellers just assume that what works for a Polo/Golf will also work for an A2.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom

What about the picture in the body of the advert as that has different connectors which look similar to A2 items? Welcome your well informed opinion!

Cheers

Tom

What about the picture in the body of the advert as that has different connectors which look similar to A2 items? Welcome your well informed opinion!

Cheers

Ah, well spotted. Those are indeed the right connectors.

However, I've seen this loom before. On my last retrofitting tour (when I fitted DIS for you), I was asked by a club member near Oxford to fit this exact loom. It was totally unsuitable. I ended up making a loom on location using the connectors from the prefabricated eBay loom. The lengths were all wrong, the branch junctions were in the wrong places and the connector pins (terminals) at the other end were of the wrong type.

Cheers,

Tom

Timmus. I have made up my my own loom for the fog lights. The correct connectors for the lights was easy to determine but I am having difficulty identifying the correct 'tail pin' that goes into the loom connector at the base of the passenger 'A' post. Do you know the correct part number?
I had thought it might be 000979133E but my first purchase will not fit!

Your help would be much appreciated
Geoff

Try this guy also from Germany.
Ebay item number 191963822065.
I have used the tuning fanatics seller also for a cruise control harness for my A2 that was a perfect fit. Will check if i ordered the fog harness off him as well tomorrow.

Try this guy also from Germany.
Ebay item number 191963822065.
I have used the tuning fanatics seller also for a cruise control harness for my A2 that was a perfect fit. Will check if i ordered the fog harness off him as well tomorrow.
Just checked through my old posts on today i, and it was tuning fanatics that i purchased harness off. If you are in any doubts about fitment of harness then mail him. If i remember correctly, he even provides a how to install the harness and connect up(in german but you can translate easy enough).
Good luck
Steve

The lengths were all wrong, the branch junctions were in the wrong places and the connector pins (terminals) at the other end were of the wrong type.

Cheers,

Tom
Tom, you say connector pins, but surely only one is needed for both lights? As far as I know there is only one empty pin in the connector block that is used to power the lights. I’m only asking as I am in the middle of this job on my sons A2

Tom, you say connector pins, but surely only one is needed for both lights? As far as I know there is only one empty pin in the connector block that is used to power the lights. I’m only asking as I am in the middle of this job on my sons A2

That's correct - there's just one pin required at the base of the left-hand-side A-pillar.

I've been so insanely busy recently and haven't had much opportunity to get on the forum and reply to PMs and messages on the open forum. I've just spent the last 5 hours replying to PMs, but if I've forgotten about you, please get in touch again!

Cheers,

Tom

Back