Limp mode and dash lights!!!!!!

JoshuA2

Hi all,

I have had some issues on my car recently which have got a lot worse on my journey home from work today. About two weeks ago I was turning a corner in second gear and the car lost power and the glow plug/engine management light came on. A swift on and off cured the problem and it had not occurred again UNTIL TODAY!!! Again I was turning a corner in second gear and the car briefly lost power but regained it quickly without throwing a dash light. 500 yards later, however this time going straight, it did it again throwing the glow plug/engine management light. Again an off and on cured it however it proceeded to do it again two more times within the next 200 yards, however on the final time it threw the power steering light as well! Earlier today i also noticed my temp gauge had stopped working.

I have booked the car into the garage an hopefully it can be a nice easy fix! I'm hoping that the temp censor has broken which has cause all the other symptoms.

I have a 1.4 tdi 90bhp 2004 model. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Cheers
Josh

Hi all,

I have had some issues on my car recently which have got a lot worse on my journey home from work today. About two weeks ago I was turning a corner in second gear and the car lost power and the glow plug/engine management light came on. A swift on and off cured the problem and it had not occurred again UNTIL TODAY!!! Again I was turning a corner in second gear and the car briefly lost power but regained it quickly without throwing a dash light. 500 yards later, however this time going straight, it did it again throwing the glow plug/engine management light. Again an off and on cured it however it proceeded to do it again two more times within the next 200 yards, however on the final time it threw the power steering light as well! Earlier today i also noticed my temp gauge had stopped working.

I have booked the car into the garage an hopefully it can be a nice easy fix! I'm hoping that the temp censor has broken which has cause all the other symptoms.

I have a 1.4 tdi 90bhp 2004 model. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Cheers
Josh

If it started happening when turning corners the first thing I would check is the smaller of the two battery leads on the positive terminal on the battery, make sure it is tight (10mm nut). A long shot but a free check!

Steve B

But it does sound similar to an issue we had with a TDI Sport I sold a few months back, we changed the Temp sender without improvement, but then replaced the Crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor and the temp sender again (the replacement one is thought to have been faulty).

Check for error codes (or get the garage to) if the camshaft or crankshaft sensor is throwing a fault, then changing them (after checking the loom first)

Steve B

You have not mentioned the ABS warning light but if that is also activated during the sharp change of direction, it may be a problem with a faulty yaw rate or possibly steering angle sensor.

Cheers Spike

Back