Safe In Situ Battery Charging Advice Needed

J3FVW

Today I went to start my A2 that has been sat in the garage for months now and there wasn't enough charge in the battery to turn the engine over. It's no big deal as I've been expecting this day to come for a while now.

I've connected my trickle charger up and it's currently charging the battery. I have permanently connected a toslink charging cable to the battery rather than mess around with crocodile clips and have left the carpet flap open in the boot to ensure there is plenty of ventilation while charging takes place.

Would I be right in thinking that what I have done is good practice and that charging the battery with the carpet flap down and then the spare wheel on top wouldn't be a smart move? I'm sure I've heard before that charging batteries should be done with all precaution necessary taken.

Cheers

Jeff

What's more important is making sure there's absolutely no way that the cables can come into contact with the terminals.

Hi the battery in the a2 should have a vent tube fitted that lets the gasses vent to the outside of the compartment. Unless someone has previously changed the battery and not fitted the small black pipe in the left hand end of the battery.

Hi the battery in the a2 should have a vent tube fitted that lets the gasses vent to the outside of the compartment. Unless someone has previously changed the battery and not fitted the small black pipe in the left hand end of the battery.
It looks like it's the original battery so I'm sure if there is a vent tube it will be in tact. I didn't know about it so I'm glad I started this thread and thanks for the heads up :)

Jeff

I'm not sure that gassing is a problem with batteries nowadays. When did you last have to top up your battery? They are usually sealed and have a catalyst that recombines the oxygen and hydrogen to form water.

RAB

Back