Can someone confirm this is the old ARB

Pras

A2OC Donor
Now that I've sorted out the creaking rear springs, I can hear a knock from the front ...

Never ending

Can someone just confirm that this is indeed the old style ARB with the plastic collars .

I've already read up on replacing it with polo bushes.

ehmyd1.jpg

Last edited:
Well I replaced mine not long ago & it didn't have the coller on it like yours so I guess it is the old type

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I heard knocking / Creaking too, replaced ARBs, Drop Links, Front Shocks ,Rear Shocks, engine mount, gearbox mount,underside dogbone, bonnet catches and it is still there but the Wife is gone, could it be the top strut mounts ?, expecting to hear banging from the passenger seat soon.

That looks like the later style ARB to me. That collar looks like it's metal and is an integral part of the ARB.

The Polo bushes are for the earlier style ARB without those metal collars. The tighter grip of the Polo bushes stops the earlier ARB from moving laterally from left to right, whereas the metal collars on the later style ARB achieve this. As such, the standard A2 bushes should be used with the later ARB. These bushes do deteriorate, so are worth replacing when doing a suspension overhaul or when trying to eliminate knocks. They're dirt cheap, at roughly £5 for a pair from Audi. However, be aware that the bolts that hold the D-shaped brackets in place are stretch bolts and therefore ought to be replaced at the same time as the bushes.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Replace the old one for an H & R stabkit then you have before and behind the best what is, and then something happens unbelievably .Wooow

89bfa322181c38245032115efc58ab0c.jpg

fa069e30552b97488434489c6da46899.jpg

8f0468715bbc0d1d776670d169ceec35.jpg

Hi Pras
As you probably know the early roll bar has the plastic sleeves as a 'stop' and 'bearing' surface for the rubber bushes. In theory it's a nicer design but when the bar starts rusting under the sleeves they crack and no longer control sideways movement of the roll bar.

The picture you posted indicates the plastic sleeves may still be in good condition, and if so, I'd suggest you just replace the rubber bushes with original parts.
If the sleeves have failed then the choice is to fit Polo bushes after removing the plastic sleeves and rust from the roll bar, or fit a new design bar with the metal locating collars (std or H&R)

Although the Polo bushes are initially a tight fit on the roll bar some members have had problems with the bar moving sideways and have added collars to prevent this.

I think replacing the roll bar requires the subframe to be lowered slightly for access. If you do the job yourself, ideally you need a set of alignment pins to ensure the subframe goes back in the same position

Cheers Spike

Reactions: fbi
Fitting just Polo bushes is a "quick & dirty" fix.
They will eventually move sideways.

Just spotted that Timmus indicates PRAS may have the later roll bar with metal collars while, to me the picture suggests it's the old style with plastic sleeves.

Personally, I always thought the metal collars were larger dia and only 'washer' thickness while the moulded ends of the plastic sleeves were smaller dia and more 'chunky'

Having said that, the pic suggests the 'collars' may have rusted and cracked the coating (and only metal can do that). Only time will tell.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
I can confirm it is indeed the later style ARB without the plastic collars. - I somehow missed all other replies to this thread. So now I have brand new Polo bushes spare :p And the existing bushes where in good shape so the knock is coming from somewhere else....
The drop links where only replaced a year ago with generic eBay ones... There is slight play on one of them at the bottom I'm going to fit the meyle ones and hope for the best.

Just getting the new style ARB in with good bushes makes all the difference, assuming your drop links aren't screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back