My wife's recently purchased A2 1.6 fsi

RDS

The wife's A2 recently acquired, excellent dog transporter, Finally got her running smooth i have replaced big end bearings see pic and main bearings while sump off engine in situe crankshaft in tolerance and no marks, new injectors,upper and lower intake manifold gasket faces hand ground with grindstones 250/600/800/Upto 2000 inlet manifold pressure reading 290/310 at idle 750 rpm with engine Upto temp various other jobs completed while manifold off. Air con working ok but numerous faults on vcds next job I think to sort out no rush. replacement clock required damaged pixels, then body and wheels unable to get photos on by my phone
front.jpg
back.jpg
bearing.jpg
dog carrier.jpg
back angle.jpg

Last edited:
Air con working ok but numerous faults on vcds next job I think to sort out no rush. replacement clock required damaged pixels, then body and wheels

I have lost count of the number of A2s I have used VCDS on, I have yet to find even ONE that doesn't have a collection of HVAC error codes.

Once cleared several then never reappear, but on the whole I have yet to see a completely clear HVAC on VCDS.
At the same time all of the cars that had these error codes had a fully operational climate control. So don't rush into doing any work, unless the system is giving you any problems.

As for Pixels, There is a company in Waterlooville that will replace the DIS panel for £150 (for some reason they only charged me £120 and said that was the price for an A2)

You can either post it to them and they will return it VERY quickly, or if you are visiting that area they will do a "while you wait" service. They were VERY helpful when I had an issue with one of the screens they fitted (not their fault but they sorted it without fuss) Have a look at "Cartronix"

But worth contacting Tom (Timmus on here) for work like that too.

Steve B

Air con giving no problems just fan surges now and then job can wait until later or until
air con stops

I have replaced big end bearings see pic and main bearings while sump off engine in situe crankshaft in tolerance and no marks

I thought releasing the Crankshaft was a big no-no on the BAD engine? (Or any VAG engine that uses the same block)

I have completed just under a thousand miles with no problems. As long as crankshaft has no wear or scoring and torqued up correctly, after all it's just a shaft with worn bearings
as you can see in picture the bearings needed changing big end knock and for the negligible cost of a set of bearings.diy job
1 bearing at a time crankshaft was never fully released

Last edited:
I have lost count of the number of A2s I have used VCDS on, I have yet to find even ONE that doesn't have a collection of HVAC error codes.

Once cleared several then never reappear, but on the whole I have yet to see a completely clear HVAC on VCDS.
At the same time all of the cars that had these error codes had a fully operational climate control. So don't rush into doing any work, unless the system is giving you any problems.

As for Pixels, There is a company in Waterlooville that will replace the DIS panel for £150 (for some reason they only charged me £120 and said that was the price for an A2)

You can either post it to them and they will return it VERY quickly, or if you are visiting that area they will do a "while you wait" service. They were VERY helpful when I had an issue with one of the screens they fitted (not their fault but they sorted it without fuss) Have a look at "Cartronix"

But worth contacting Tom (Timmus on here) for work like that too.

Steve B

Hi,

I have just this morning visited Cartronix in Waterlooville and collected my TT cluster on which they had replaced the DIS LCD and also fixed a problem with the gauges. I haven't plugged it back into the car yet to see what the new screen looks like, but if its good I will be taking my A2 cluster in for an LCD replacement too. The price for the LCD replacement was £120, (£100 + VAT).
The mechanics at the firm who service my cars recommended them.

regards

Andrew

I have completed just under a thousand miles with no problems. As long as crankshaft has no wear or scoring and torqued up correctly, after all it's just a shaft with worn bearings
as you can see in picture the bearings needed changing big end knock and for the negligible cost of a set of bearings.diy job
1 bearing at a time crankshaft was never fully released

What mileage did you replace the bearings at? (If you don't mind me asking!)

Nick

Bought car with 96500 on clock ran it until 98000 decided to have Look at bearings subsequently changed them.car has now 98900 on clock no problems at all, only typical intake leak when put manifold together found to be throttle gasket leak
Cheers Rick

Last edited:
Did the bearing change make much of a difference? I'm at 157,000mi so I should imagine mine won't be any better (unless yours were starved of oil at some point?)

The engine is quieter still a very slight knock hardly noticeable,on a technical bulletin it states that some knocking is normal may take cylinder head off if it gets louder.have a look at small end, knowing me I'll probably end up doing a head refurbish. Don't mind the tinkering good learning curve
Piston rings and valves are ok i did perform a leak down test <4% across the cylinders, I'm thinking previous owner may have had the head refurbished as there are new parts on the car left right and centre
Rick

Back