Boris is dead !!

Tazio

A2OC Donor
Well boris my lovely 2002 TDI is dead killed by a unusually high tide .... Anyway i fancy another A2 but Petrol this time so any advice from the Petrol users here most appreciated should i go for 1.4 or 1.6 FSI ? real world reliability and fuel consumption of either options ??

Would you elaborate on Boris?

In my experience with the A2's since 2006, I have found the 1.4 Petrol to be the most simplest and reliable of the A2 engine, very little to go wrong. I have had many A2's and the basic problem that seems to write off the 1.4 petrol is simply that people fail to change the timing belt, especially the smaller belt which snaps. I have 3 right now on my drive which have this problem which I bought.

Get the timing belts changed (both!) and the rest of the kit immediately when you buy one

Sarge

thank you Sarge
Well i was sailing on the norfolk coast had the car parked in the carpark and they had a 7.5m serge tide largest for 30 years so my car and 4 others were drowned .. very sad as boris is a great car and although she only got a little water in ! . If a car has had any sea water in then it is written off ....

thank you Sarge
Well i was sailing on the norfolk coast had the car parked in the carpark and they had a 7.5m serge tide largest for 30 years so my car and 4 others were drowned .. very sad as boris is a great car and although she only got a little water in ! . If a car has had any sea water in then it is written off ....

Oh sorry to hear that. If Boris was very dear to you then you could always buy it back and rebuild it as an option, but I fear it's too late as they insurance must have taken it by now?

Sarge

No i am keeping the salvage ! as the car is in my yard ..... i am actively looking for another but thinking of going petrol this time so 1.4... would like a well specked reasonable milage in nice condition if i can find one ! Boris was supplied by wom cars low milage one owner full service history se and sport spec + Pano roof so everything bar leather . will be difficult to replace as 1.4 petrols seem to be lower spaced generally than TDI..

No sorry my phone and iPad were also in the car ........ There are a lot of well spaced FSI for sale is there bad reputation for reliability deserved ?

My engine hasn't troubled me at all in over 2 years now. A 1.6 is also much nicer to drive than a 1.4, so worth it even with a reliability risk in my opinion.

No i am keeping the salvage ! as the car is in my yard ..... i am actively looking for another but thinking of going petrol this time so 1.4... would like a well specked reasonable milage in nice condition if i can find one ! Boris was supplied by wom cars low milage one owner full service history se and sport spec + Pano roof so everything bar leather . will be difficult to replace as 1.4 petrols seem to be lower spaced generally than TDI..

TO be fair, it's quite easy to "upspec" A2s, especially at the moment. If you ignore certain eBay traders then there are many bargains to be had.

I think the 1.6FSI is a lovely engine, when it works properly. The main issue seems to be that if something goes awry they are a lot more difficult to fix than the more traditional 1.4mpi and the 1.4tdi engines. This is purely anecdotal speculation, as I am a mechanical numpty.

I think Jeremy has succinctly summarised things rather well. The FSI is more complex with more sensors and internal gubbins that complicate diagnosis (and incur costs) if things go wrong. It is perhaps more delicately balanced too and very sensitive relying on premium fuel and injector cleaning to get the best out of the engine. It is more punchier than the 1.4 overall and nudges the fuel economy stakes. If it is to be a daily driver then the 1.4 is the more reliable of the two as a rule of thumb. Again, if financial efficiency is a major consideration, the sensible gamble would also point to the 1.4. The FSI is a joy when running smoothly mind and I don't regret the choice; albeit I am fortunate enough that my car isn't my main daily commuter. As is always the case, service history, condition and enthusiast owned should be at the top of the list whichever option you take.

You can't go wrong with the 1.4 petrol in my opinion. They are a little noisey when cold but once warmed up are a very quiet engine and on long runs 50mpg is easily achievable.

I know some people prefer the torque of the diesel models but the 1.4 is nippy enough for most in a light A2 chassis. I love mine on the rare occasion that I drive it.

Jeff :)

Back