Gear lever vibration in neutral.

Dave M

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
On the way home from Kimbolton, in top/start traffic on the A1, the gear lever moved from side to side in neutral and there was a light brrr ing sound. This only happened occasionally and I thought that that I hadn,t depressed the clutch completely to engage neutral. It did however continue off and on. Is this a sign that there is a looming clutch problem :confused:

Cheers for any reply

Dave. :)

Have you had the dual mass flywheel changed on Merlin ? One of the symptoms of it going is increased vibration .

Hi Murdo,

DMF has not been changed since i,ve owned him and he,s now coming up to 130,000 miles. Perhaps its time for a change :confused:. Ive read your clutch replacement thread and got all the part numbers.

Very helpful !.

Thankyou.

It is not likely to be anything serious.

If it was a DMF fault you would probably feel the vibrations through the pedal.

If (as suggested) moving it slightly to one side or the other stops it, then just carry out the gear linkage adjustment as shown in the U Tube videos (there is a thread in the "How To" section)

Doing the adjustment is likely to shift the resting position slightly and also take up some slack.

Worth a try (and free)

Steve B

Thankyou for the suggestions... the gear lever vibration went away after depressing the clutch, engaging a gear and then again returning to neutral. This is what made me think that something wasn,t quite disengaging somewhere on an intermittent basis :confused:.

Thankyou for the suggestions... the gear lever vibration went away after depressing the clutch, engaging a gear and then again returning to neutral. This is what made me think that something wasn,t quite disengaging somewhere on an intermittent basis :confused:.

It could be just that when you are doing that you are moving the gear lever to a slightly different position.

Most A2s will have vibration when you move the gear lever to a certain position and then be still when in the correct position.

Steve B

Back