Passenger Electric Switch not working. Switch or something more sinister?

AudA2Numpty

A2OC Donor
The drivers door control opens and closes the passenger window.
The passenger window also backs up if I shove my hand in the way when it is going up on it's own after the one touch thingy via the drivers door.
Try to do any of this via the passenger door switch and nothing happens.

There is a faint audible click if I try to pull up with the passenger switch but nothing happens. No noise at all when pushing down.

Does this sound like a switch issue?

I have tried the reset the window thingy but that has not worked.

Help please.

Last edited:
The drivers door control opens and closes the passenger window.
The passenger window also backs up if I shove my hand in the way when it is going up on it's own after the one touch thingy via the drivers door.
Try to do any of this via the passenger door switch and nothing happens.

There is a faint audible click if I try to pull up with the passenger switch but nothing happens. No noise at all when pushing down.

Does this sound like a switch issue?

I have tried the reset the window thingy but that has not worked.

Help please.

Yes it does sound like a failed switch, but it MIGHT be a wiring problem in the door.

As a very long shot you could try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and reconnecting it. That resets the CCCU. As I say it is a long shot but it is free and easy to do.
(You might have to re-pair the central locking but that is easy too, just pop a key in the ignition, turn it on, press unlock on the key fob and switch off and remove the key.
Note that this ONLY works if you are doing it with a key with a remote that was previously working in your car)

#If the battery disconnect doesn't resolve it then you could remove the door panel and check the wiring. But it might be better to wait until you have a replacement switch so you can swap that too if the wiring is ok.

Be careful when removing the switch from the door, find the plastic "catch" and compress that with your fingers before trying to remove it. Don't try and just lever it out you will break the catch and the switch will be loose. You have to remove the door card to swap the switch.

Steve B

I had exactly the same problem on my A4. I replaced the driver's switch, all 4 together
And the rear window disable switch (it's this one that was faulty apart from the passenger one).
Found replacement on AliExpress I think for 25USD delivered. Now everything is fine,
Didn't touch the passenger switch at all. Go figure!

Boris

So I disconnected the battery and reset the CCCU. Nope did not work, passenger electric window switch still not working.
Still making the very feint clicking noise, the other switches and key fob make the window go up and down though.

I did notice the passenger window is a little slow to return up and makes a slight jump and auto return if it goes too slow.
So I think I will have to investigate into the door further, while I'm there I might as well sort out the door catch noise rivet issue too.
Hopefully I won't find any horror stories behind the door.
Fingers crossed.

Ah hah.

This could be the problem. The Switch.

IMG_4862.jpg
IMG_4863.jpg

Looks like liquid damage.
Could not get it off so will have to replace the whole thing.

Door check strap nylon rollers have gone.
Can they be replaced or is it the whole door check strap?

Ah hah.

This could be the problem. The Switch.

View attachment 30119
View attachment 30120

Looks like liquid damage.
Could not get it off so will have to replace the whole thing.

Door check strap nylon rollers have gone.
Can they be replaced or is it the whole door check strap?

Yes, it looks like you have finally found the cause, great!

As for the checkstrap, have you read the post on here Better than Audi Original re manufactured front Door check Straps

Steve B

Cheers Steve B.

There is a local company to me which sells fastening parts, brass bearings and spacers.
It got bits for my motorbike last year and it cost me £1.50 for a handful of brassy bits which I used for exhaust mounts spacer which are almost identical in size to the nylon rollers on the check strap.

I'll check the dimensions of the nylons, as it's the inner one which is making the snap noise, so might be able to repair it myself if they have the right size bits.

Cheers.

Yes, it looks like you have finally found the cause, great!

As for the checkstrap, have you read the post on here Better than Audi Original re manufactured front Door check Straps

Steve B

Switch arrived from eBay I checked it before I fitted the door card back on and bingo a working passenger door electric window switch. Yey.

One slight issue, the bit which was sent had two broken mounts. Thankfully I had carefully removed mine and they were intact so I swopped over (not easily mind you) the switch to the original mounting plate. All lovely and snug then refitted to the car.

One job down, 15 to go. :)

Back