Interior Lights - LED upgrade

steve@cromford

A2OC Donor
Having recently replaced all of the incandescent light bulbs in my house with LEDs I thought I'd do the same with my A2.
I recall a member previously recommended EM Tuning. The A2 set doesn't appear on their website, but you can email them for an order. £36.25 for the full set including postage. Replacement is very straightforward, though the boot light and glove box lights are a tight fit. Also, when replacing the vanity lights near the visors ensure you follow the instructions elsewhere on the forum- I broke the lens on the first one I did!
The LEDs look great. It's a much better, cleaner light. The attached photo doesn't really do them justice.

Steve M

IMG_1472.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 725
The addition of LED lighting really modernises the feel of the a2's interior. Good work

I just ordered 15 led bulbs for my A2 from this seller:

http://www.cit-ltd.co.uk/

I really recommend the 486 lumen reverse lights, really bright with two ones1
and also about the same for the luggage compartment so it is so light in there now a light year brighter than the original ones.

Also did I put 320 lumen (T10!) in the parking light and it so much brighter that I do not need to put on the main lights:)

Glove box takes the same light as boot etc - its a same spec as the side lights W5W. For info for the luggage area I ended up buying a LED panel rather than going with a bulb. The LED bulb did not sit reliably into the OEM clip in the light fitting and was temperamental..at least for me. LED panel also gives off a shed more light.

Last edited:
I also tried interior led but I took it off because of annoying one time blink when it comes on when you unlock or lock the car. It blinks one time and after that comes on like regular bulb.

Is it the same with your leds?

Last edited:
I have tried cheap LEDs and they do flicker.
I bought a full set of interiors also sides, revering and number plate lights from EM Tuning (as per Birchall recommendation)
They weren't cheap but they are faultless.
Once you get used to the clean white light, you'll never want halogens (or whatever) again!

I'm not talking about flickering when they are off.
In my case, they blink once when they get power input and after that turns on.

So for sure I bought quality LEDs , festoon and W5W from philips or Osram and have had no issues with these at all. Very good quality, no flickering. I even have osram led sidelights and the difference is very marked.

As mentioned i bought an LED panel from fleabay then had to make the boot lamp area slightly longer to accommodate but again its been flawless, fades perfectly when you shut the boot etc and the light levels are stunning when compares to a W5W bulb, let alone the original halogen.

Interesting comments.
But I'd appreciate a link to the LEDs kit, if it exists like that, or to the item for sale online. It's not that I'm lazy but I'm not an English native speaker... and sometimes it's harsh to browse when you don't know exactly what you're looking for. Thanks alot!

So I managed to replace the interior lights with led apart from the bulbs either side of the main front light. I purchased a couple of different cheap leds and neither work. Has anyone had any success with these bulbs and have a link to the ones I should order. I don't need the full set as already have those done as they are just festoon bulbs.

Previous owner had changed some lights for LED-s but some normal bulbs were left in (to prevent flickering i guess).
I'm a cheap man and old friend with soldering iron, so after replacing other bulbs with LED-s i stopped flickering by adding resistors to the lights.
Rear light with 8,2k resistor installed:

Back