Temperature gauge and unidentifiable clicks

suntory

Ok I just drove from Aberdeen to London and I am a proud owner of a 1.4tdi 75bhp

Now I was just notice or wondering what position is the temp gauge when warm, I always think it was 90 degrees in the middle but I notice from my road trip it hoovered from 60-80 degrees during the motorway, is this normal? It went back to th middle when idle at traffic lights.

Another thing when I indicate left and right with the stalk. There are intermittent clicks followed under the passenger bulkhead. Randomly like a relay that is clicking. I'm too tired to browse the forum so if someone knows and can help me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Mine never seems to go much over 1/4 way, (75bhp tdi) and think its sort of normal on these cars.
Other members who are much more higher ranking me will overtake me on this but im fairly sure im correct :)

after about 3 miles in summer weather conditions or about 8 miles in winter conditions the TDI should get to 90 Deg (gauge pointing vertical), if it doesn't then it is either the thermostat opening too soon or the temp sender unit failing.

In either case this IS costing you fuel money as until the temp hits 87 deg one or other fueling maps is being used which inject more fuel that the 87+ deg fuelling map uses

In my experience if the gauge is reading anything then it is normally (but not always) the thermostat at fault, cheapish part and easyish to change

cheers,

I have the same and the clicks sound like a broken CD player hunting. I suspect they are air con flaps opening and closing on mine as they accompany odd gusts of air in random places and a scan shows several faults in climate control motor sections. Saving up for thermostat and sender now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is reading just hoovering between 60-80 funny thing is it's dead in the middle when stationary in front waiting for traffic lights.

Indicator relay.
Had the same issue, did nothing about it and it disappeared after a while.

Regards,
Boris

the temp gauge should be rock solid showing 90. I personally would bet on the sender. Get it scanned either way.

The clicking with indicators will be the relay.

- Bret

Golly gosh, I must get my thermostat replaced sometime soon then as mine rarely goes over 1/4 mark!
Thought it was normal as its only a small engine with lots of space to ventilate etc.

Suntroy's clicking are related to indicator, surely not related to air con but I am no expert.

Andy

I said MY unidentifiable clicks - that's the problem with the stupid things, I can't describe them. Glad it's not the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my old pride and joy. Sorry to see it go, but glad to see it will be looked after.

The clicks are more than likely the indicator relay. Check the receipt log I gave you. I probably replaced it at some point (changed it twice from memory with genuine Audi parts) which are guaranteed for 2 years. To access the relay, you need to remove the storage holder above the radio. Bit of a knack on removal and if you're careful then you won't damage or break anything. There are a couple of write ups online. The relay is tucked in at the back. Personally, unless it's just an odd click here or there I'd leave well alone. When it goes there's a continuous click after indicating.

Also replaced the wiper relay recently with a second hand VW part (lives under the floor on the passenger side under the carpet).

Hopefully these issues are quickly solved and don't spoil your enjoyment of this car. :eek:

Back