my firse attempt at servicing my 1.4 tdi

jorrituk

morning all,
We have deiced to take the A2 on it's first Holiday in 2 weeks time so I thought I better give it some care and attention
last Sunday I gathered enough courage to uncover the engine from the top and the bottom and do and oil and air filter change.
First I took the engine cover off, all was still good.
IMG_3010.jpg
first things look ok, 1 plastic thingy missing .
Then I discovered not all is aluminum on the a2 and steel rusts on every car. Is this common and do I need to be worried, do something about the rust.
IMG_3010.jpgIMG_3013.jpgIMG_3014.jpg

The tray was removed easily and it had a fair amount clear lube oil gathered on the passenger side. Well that is a problem for later.
I managed to undo the drain plug and while the oil was dripping out I decided to change the oil filter. The 36mm plastic nut on top of the oil filter cover would not move and in the under I had to borrow a 3/4 socket and wrench after having checked 3 or 4 that I was undoing the cover in the right direction.

I was on a roll and only the airfilter left to do. The lid came of really easy the reason became clear. The 2 screws are completely rusted through and broken off in the thread of the housing.IMG_3022.jpg

so here some questions:
Best way to get the screws and plates to mount the undertray or stick with tie wraps?
Airfilter has anybody had this problem and found an easy ( cheap ) fix?
Cheers Jorrit

Attachments

• IMG_3011.jpg
    IMG_3011.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 162
For fixing the engine under-tray, then yes fit the hex panel screws. See how much the genuine Audi ones are - as I'm sure they're stainless steel to avoid corrosion issues. Regards the three back ones, I'd be inclined to fit nylon zip ties. The under-tray can detach with vibration (wouldn't be the first time I've seen one hanging loose), so the cable ties at the back seem to do the trick.

Regards the air-filter cover, remove the existing rusted screws and fit over-sized stainless steel self tappers. You may need to drill the cover holes first.

see my 3D printed parts thread in the 'classified' section, I have a set of inserts that the screws go into for the under tray rear mounting (3off) and also for the top of the two legs for when the bolts have broken / spun

PM me if you want more info
cheers,

Back