A2 1.4tdi 90 Limp mode/EML/Power steerin light and occasional loss of power steering.

JoshuA2

Hi all.

I am struggling to diagnose the problem with my A2. In hot weather the car puts it self in limp mode/ puts EM light and power steering light on and once or twice cut power steering. I had the throttle body changed to try and fix the problem but no luck. It felt better however it still felt weak/underpowered during cornering. Then yesterday and today it started going into limp mode ect.. . again!!! All of the faults I have had have been during 2nd gear going round a left hand corner 9/10 times. I have checked multiple vacuum lines, wiring harnesses and earth straps to check for obvious problems but nothing out of the ordinary. I have also checked the intercooler for burst seals as that puts the car in limp mode in hot weather. The coolant and power steering fluid is full so cant be that. The garage dont seem to know what else could be wrong.

I was wondering if anyone in the Manchester area could give assistance with 'VCDS' computer scanning.

If you can help please PM me.

Cheers
Josh

Last edited:
Have you checked the battery connections?
power steering is electro-hydraulic, so if a battery connection is loose, you will loose the power steering while cornering.

Regards,
Boris

When you get the scan it will be interesting to see if my theory on a faulty YAW sensor, mentioned in your previous thread, was way off beam or (less likely) a smart bit of detective work.

Cheers Spike

Wow great thinking spike. Josh I would hope that an Fsi uses the same yaw sensor. So robin -I have one you can try. Great thinking spike the guru. Cheers Mike

Have you checked the battery connections?
power steering is electro-hydraulic, so if a battery connection is loose, you will loose the power steering while cornering.

Regards,
Boris

Hi Boris.

Yes that was the first thing i did!

Cheers
Josh

When you get the scan it will be interesting to see if my theory on a faulty YAW sensor, mentioned in your previous thread, was way off beam or (less likely) a smart bit of detective work.

Cheers Spike

Hi spike. The scan didn't show a YAW Fault. The hunt for the problem continues!!

Hi spike. The scan didn't show a YAW Fault. The hunt for the problem continues!!
When you said you have checked the battery connections are you sure that you checked the smaller positive wire (10mm nut). That can come loose too.

Clutching at straws but when that is all you all you can do then it is worth double checking

steve B

Wow great thinking spike. Josh I would hope that an Fsi uses the same yaw sensor. So robin -I have one you can try. Great thinking spike the guru. Cheers Mike

The model of yaw rate sensor is dependent on whether the car has the MK20 or the MK60 ABS unit. All FSIs and TDI90s were made with the MK60 unit, so the yaw rate sensors will be the same. :)

Cheers,

Tom

When you said you have checked the battery connections are you sure that you checked the smaller positive wire (10mm nut). That can come loose too.

Clutching at straws but when that is all you all you can do then it is worth double checking

steve B

I will double check them

Cheers
Josh

My logic related to the fault occurring on a 2nd gear bend, an ideal situation for the yaw sensor to be working hard. Along with the steering angle sensor it's part of the ABS system which controls the electronic stability programme (ESP) so would trigger the ABS warning lamp if a fault occurred

Out of interest was the car scanned with VCDS (Vag Com)

Cheers Spike

My logic related to the fault occurring on a 2nd gear bend, an ideal situation for the yaw sensor to be working hard. Along with the steering angle sensor it's part of the ABS system which controls the electronic stability programme (ESP) so would trigger the ABS warning lamp if a fault occurred

Out of interest was the car scanned with VCDS (Vag Com)

Cheers Spike

Yes it was scanned with VCDS. the only problem is it only happens in 25*c weather!!! lol. The joys of driving!!!

Back