Fan heater blower motor

froggy

Trying to replace the heater fan motor behind the glovebox on a limited budget. Managed to pick up a new motor on ebay for £40. Tested and goes like a jet engine. Unfortunately it is a LHD version and obviously does not fit. Before I return it, I pulled the old motor from its casing (not glued or otherwise held just grip behind the plastic fan and wiggle it towards you). My plan was to switch the new motor into the old casing to save hassle and cost. I soon realised the obvious problem - the fins on the fan are the wrong way around so I think the fan will suck instead of blow? So finally to my question. Does anybody know if the connector wiring to the motor can be altered (reversed) so that the fan spins the opposite way? The black connector with the red and blue wires from the car can only fit one way so it would have to be the motor, but would that spin the fan in the opposite direction or just blow a fuse!?

Last edited:
Selling a LHD fan motor is a bit dodgy. Does your car have air con? I may be able to sell you one at such a low prce that its not worth your hassle trying to work on the one you bought.

Yep I have the climatronic air con. Are your parts used - I know beggars can't be choosers but I did notice a massive difference in speed from a working but original motor from another car and the new one I mistakenly bought from ebay.

The only one I have on the shelf at the moment is a non-ac one. Never mind was worth a try.

Just to add I managed to switch the new LHD motor to the old casing and i switched the white plastic fan part from my old unit too - so if the fan motor spins in the same direction for LHD and RHD versions then I should be fine. Currently I'm just fixing the casing back with three lower torx screws, so maybe air is escaping as frustratingly no air is coming through the vents, I must not be fitting the casing correctly, or the motor is spinning in the wrong direction. Currently it is spinning anti clockwise and to me this is correct as the direction of the fins on the white plastic fan would then scoop air into the vents. Will update as soon as I can figure this irritating situation out.

Just to add I managed to switch the new LHD motor to the old casing and i switched the white plastic fan part from my old unit too - so if the fan motor spins in the same direction for LHD and RHD versions then I should be fine. Currently I'm just fixing the casing back with three lower torx screws, so maybe air is escaping as frustratingly no air is coming through the vents, I must not be fitting the casing correctly, or the motor is spinning in the wrong direction. Currently it is spinning anti clockwise and to me this is correct as the direction of the fins on the white plastic fan would then scoop air into the vents. Will update as soon as I can figure this irritating situation out.

whilst i cannot confirm my thought, but I can't believe that Audi would make a different fan direction for the RH and LH cars

My thoughts exactly. Until I modified the plastic motor housing, switched the loom plug around (blue wire at the top red below) and it works!!? Audi must make the motor differently for different markets. I think RHD needs to spin clockwise and LHD counter clockwise. I'm literally over the moon, but would not really recommend this mod to save £100. My advice buy the correct part - 6Q2820015C in my case. If it ends in a 'G' its LHD I believe. Anyway a few more screws to fit for silent running (but not the pesky 6th screw) and then an aircon test to see if my G263 sensor is goosed or not.

Well, full test very disappointing. Air comes through but not enough. If I put the bars up to max and shut all but one of the dash vents the flow through the only open vent is barely acceptable. The fan is making more noise than before I fitted the other screws too. As a last ditch attempt I will try the only thing I have not tested yet - putting the LHD plastic fan on instead of my original. No idea how that could possibly work but nothing left to lose now. Air con not happening either. Fingers crossed for better luck tomorrow.

Back