Dilemma

rosscanning

A2OC Donor
Hi fellow A2ers,

My front discs and pads need changing soon. I have a tdi 75 with drum rear brake which are hideous to look at and I'm not clued up on servicing them. And

here's my dilemma.

Upgrade to TT hubs either from a 2.0tfsi or 2.0tdi?

Go along with new front brakes and Convert to rear discs with an axle swap?

Or both?

I'm after your thoughts and possibly experience if you have upgraded either of them.

Cheers
Ross

Hi fellow A2ers,

My front discs and pads need changing soon. I have a tdi 75 with drum rear brake which are hideous to look at and I'm not clued up on servicing them. And

here's my dilemma.

Upgrade to TT hubs either from a 2.0tfsi or 2.0tdi?

Go along with new front brakes and Convert to rear discs with an axle swap?

Or both?

I'm after your thoughts and possibly experience if you have upgraded either of them.

Cheers
Ross

My low cost option (which it doesn't sound like you are favouring - but for balance) was to get new (used) discs and low dust pads from A2Steve and to wire brush, sand and hammerite the brake drums, hubs and calipers black. I also painted the metal shields at the back which were Uuuggllyyeeee!

I know that hammerite isn't great at resisting Stone chips and I should use chassis black and a top coat but it looks MUCH better for little time, effort or skill.

Like I say, probably not any good to you but maybe for other cheapoes like me. :)

Ps. Wear safety glasses and Don't get paint on a bit that shouldn't be painted! Between wheel and hub face - bad! On a bit that should move - bad! Safety first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just to add that the rear discs of the FSI/TDI90 area pain in little use cars as they seize up, the drums are much more reliable and as steve as pointed out the braking difference is minimal, plus a good handbrake with the drums is dead easy to achieve, not so with the discs, owe and the handbrake cables also need changing to go to discs which is a real PITA

Hi having had two of our three A2's converted to disc rear end i can say it looks so much better and never had an issue with them seizing nor on my 170k miles on the FSI but we have had plenty of issues with drums ---- well worth the hassle in getting the required parts. you will need axle - cables- and hand brake lever as the pull fulcrum is different and the drum handbrake will rise to high to engage the brakes.
As for the fronts---thats still work in progress. But member Robin has done his with tarox 6 pot callipers ----come to audis in the park to see them in the flesh. cheers mike

My 90 had the handbrake seize at around 130,000 miles, requiring a new osr calliper and new cables. I don't work on my car so please don't quiz why ;)

Unless you are running big bhp I think the larger front brakes would be overkill. The rear brakes only provide about 10% of the brake force so the only real benefit of fitting rear disks is visual.

More the visual side I'm steering to Steve. When drums are serviced properly they are great. Having just had my wheels refurbished drums are looking old and tatty.

I'm in two minds as is it worth the day it'll take to swap them over just so I have rear disks.

Ross

just to add that the rear discs of the FSI/TDI90 area pain in little use cars as they seize up, the drums are much more reliable and as steve as pointed out the braking difference is minimal, plus a good handbrake with the drums is dead easy to achieve, not so with the discs, owe and the handbrake cables also need changing to go to discs which is a real PITA

I have heard of members cars rear disks seizing or warped.

I'm quite handy when it comes to servicing my car but drums I haven't a clue.

May I just add the that I agree the drums can be very unattractive rusty .. however it's so easy when you remove them to wire brush the surface rust off kurust them & spray them silver or black with something like Plasti kote paint .. I've got 2 rear disc cars & one drum brake A2 .. yes they are easy to replace drum brakes .. & you can get a kit for them at Euro car parts cheap ... I personally prefer rear discs .. I've fitted Ate power disc with ceramic pads .. it's totally unnecessary apart from they look the bollocks fitting multi piston callipers .. ur not hauling the car down from 180 / 200 mph for Christ sakes ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can only reiterate what others have said; the best way to upgrade the A2's brakes is to fit a decent set of discs and pads at the front and keep the rear drums well serviced.

The major disadvantage of fitting bigger brakes at the front is the considerable increase in unsprung weight. The A2's brakes are already sufficient, so why change them for something that comes with a downside? Also, bigger front brakes mean that you're restricted to 16" alloys or bigger.

As others have said, the rear discs may look nice, but they can be a pain. Given my driving style, I'm doubtful that my rear brakes get much use beyond acting as a hand brake. As such, if I had rear discs fitted, they'd corrode and need replacing every year at MOT time. Whilst my liking for upgrades is well documented, I will never change my car's rear drums for discs.

Cheers,

Tom

Can anyone please provide an ebay link to ATE power discs and ceramic pads which will fit an A2.

Many thanks

Dave:)

Back