Mmmm Cranks over but wont start?!

6709gary

Just got in my A2 to go to the shops and first time ever since i had it, its failed to start on first attempt!
When i turn the ignition it cranks over twice then stops, does not fire up, never allows me to crank over more than on 2 rotations?

No warning lights on dash.

I have called out the AA so im hoping its not the fuel pump as if it is, im afraid thats it, i will have to sell it for spares repairs, but i will get back to you and tell you what the outcome is.

Cheers

Gary

Just got in my A2 to go to the shops and first time ever since i had it, its failed to start on first attempt!
When i turn the ignition it cranks over twice then stops, does not fire up, never allows me to crank over more than on 2 rotations?

No warning lights on dash.

I have called out the AA so im hoping its not the fuel pump as if it is, im afraid thats it, i will have to sell it for spares repairs, but i will get back to you and tell you what the outcome is.

Cheers

Gary

I would bet that it is the common starter motor earth fault.

The bolt goes into the body/chassis and often looks fine but needs cleaning.

Check and clean it before you spend out on a new starter, you could even try a jump lead from a good earth to the engine block and see if that makes a difference)

There are how to's on here showing the location but if you look into the engine bay you might be able to find it, it is a thick cable and a 13mm (I think) bolt.

That is, of course, as long as it is not just a case of a flat battery!!!

Steve B

I had the AA attend earlier and when he tried to start it, it cranked over, spluttered, and damn well started. Typical!
He said possibly because we had heavy downpours (Cornwall that is) he suggested water may have got in and got the electrics or simular wet (?)
I have been driving it off and on most of the day and its starting with no hesitation.
Gremlins me thinks.
But thanks for the suggestion Birchall, i do know it had a new starter 2 years ago so possibly could be a loose connection!

Back