Replacement alloy screws for number plate lights?

cheechy

A2OC Donor
Timmus mentioned to me earlier this week on possible number plate screw replacements from screwfix that won't rot and disintegrate in 10 minutes as over supplied oem screws.

Can't find the thread anywhere does anyone know or have the thread bookmarked..thanks

Never seen the thread but I would think the screws are either m3 or maybe m4 and will have one of a number of standard heads. So should be easy to buy them in stainless steel from many sellers on eBay I would expect less than £5 for 50 off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6da9afea46da0c017bd3c0ae4d143f00.jpg

There is a thread where someone says these are perfect - Halfords. Obviously I haven't tried them yet myself. :)

I've NEVER used screws, for as long as I can remember! I used double-sided tape and this means that the plates are smooth and uncluttered.
Just a quick wipe and they're clean! Now there is a super-powerful tape made by "3M" It is simply the best and holds the plates tenaciously! It's also available in two thicknesses .... 0.6 mm and 1.1 mm. But make sure that the "3M" brand-name IS on the product!

David

I use the tape for plates myself but this is for the little number plate lights which are typically held in by headless lumps of rust. ;)

Chb is who we should thank apparently.

Mine has been in for about a year and already I doubt the screws will be removable without real care. What numpty puts rustables in that position? (No offense to A2numpty obviously!)

I fitted the Halfords stainless steel ones around two years ago and they still look like new.

So managed to prise the boot lid trim off without any damage (which is good I guess) but I've been met with more rusty screws of doom :(

Before I ruin those too how do I safely try and go about trying to remove the 2 screws behind the number plate to get the plastic piece of boot lid removed to get to the lights?

...or do I have to pray for divine intervention?

I normally cut a deep slot in the head of the screw using a black "Dremel" cutting wheel. (That's the fibre type) I find that a screwdriver blade then fits tightly and the screw usually turns. WD40 also helps.

David

Thankfully managed to get them out but no way are they going back in - will need to get replacements!

Managed to replace the lights and whilst i was there replaced the boot lock which wasn't great and thats now working much better.

Spec of screw is Torx 15h head flanged / m3 x 7mm with 1mm pitch.

All similar screws I've found come in at 6mm (which should be fine) but with 0.5mm pitch so no use!

Last edited:
Back