A2 Under Bonnet Drains

rgh-key

Hello Guys,

Wanting some information on the under bonnet drains and where they are meant to be routed.

Firstly the scuttle drain has no pipe on it, simply a hole in the scuttle and that's it, just drains over the left hand side of the engine (looking at the front of the car with bonnet off), is this correct?

Secondly, the drain pipes on the slam panel that take the water from the bonnet air intake seem to be cracking due to age, where can I get new ones from, is there a standard size of pipe that can be used.

Attachments

• IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 536
Hello Guys,

Wanting some information on the under bonnet drains and where they are meant to be routed.

Firstly the scuttle drain has no pipe on it, simply a hole in the scuttle and that's it, just drains over the left hand side of the engine (looking at the front of the car with bonnet off), is this correct?

Secondly, the drain pipes on the slam panel that take the water from the bonnet air intake seem to be cracking due to age, where can I get new ones from, is there a standard size of pipe that can be used.

The scuttle drain has no pipe (strangely enough)

I have not heard of the bonnet drains cracking much perhaps it has been hot in its life?

A2Steve should have plenty of those available secondhand if member "CreweAudi" (An Audi dealer) can't get any new ones.

Steve B

Then I must have been mistaken, several owners have stated that there was no pipe on theirs, perhaps they were all missing!!!

Steve B

That was fitted by Andrew, and was not there initially, someone has done the same on your car? did you fit it?

I find it hard to believe that Audi would just leave it without a pipe???

Steve B

I've had my car from new (2001) so the pipe was factory fitted. Maybe it was omitted on later models

Cheers Spike

Looks like a trip to B&Q is in order, the pipe looks identical to that used on caravan waste water pipework, the pipe from the bonnet drain looks to be leaking around the connection to the collection cup upon further inspection either that or it has a small split in the pipe

Attachments

• IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 344
I'm sure the pipe is available from the dealers still but comes in a long length that needs cutting to size. From memory don't all the pipes route water into the undertray so that water can then drain away via the various holes in that?

both of my current TDI and the other 2 petrol 1.4's have all had a pipe from the scuttle to drain water into the undertray, latest was a 2002, so is possible that it was omitted on later models (unlikely)

Well, it's looking like it's factory fitted on all model years.

Possible reason it's missing on so many cars is that it has to be removed when doing a cambelt change - and never put back

Cheers Spike

Then I must have been mistaken, several owners have stated that there was no pipe on theirs, perhaps they were all missing!!!

Steve B

I've seen loads of A2s missing this pipe. It's often removed to aid access when changing the cam belt, etc, so I suspect many garages have removed it and then not replaced it. However, all A2s definitely left the factory with it fitted.

Edit: Sorry, I realise I've just repeated what Spike says in the post above.

Cheers,

Tom

Hello all been out and measured the pipes this morning, scuttle drain needs a flexi pipe with an internal diameter of 25mm. The bonnet drain cups need a flexi pipe with an internet diameter of 20mm. I have ordered a length of each from eBay and will let you know the outcome. The pipe I have selected is commonly used for waste pipes on caravans and motor homes, it's more rubberised than the original pipe so should give a better seal, hopefully it will be here of Tuesday so pictures to follow....

I would like to add that the measurements were taken with a 3.5m tape measure so they are approximate to say the least, will keep you all posted.

Just to confirm both my 52 and 55 plate FSI's have the scuttle drain.

I used my digital vernier to measure the spigot pipe and internal pipe diameter for you and the reading was spot on 26mm to within a couple of hundredths of a millimetre. Your 25mm will probably go on with persuasion/warming but there is an oem pipe clip to secure to spigot pipe, mind you my clip had so little grip it pulled off with hardly any force.

Andy

I was going to use a jubilee clip to secure the pipe, however with it been reinforced I doubt it would put much pressure around the joint as you said Andy. Will have to try and get the 25mm pipe on as next size up is 30mm

I know the pipe type you mean I have some on water butts and it does look remarkedly similiar.
I would say 30mm is far too big and will cause problems. Stick with the 25mm and open it up a touch with gentle heat (before you go near the car), eg hair dryer/hot air paint stripper etc and use something to work it - I am sat here next to a Kronenbourgh bottle and that looks ideal - drink beer first!

Andy

PS. measured beer bottle with vernier. Top ring 26.35mm (ideal) but unfortunately the second ring is a touch big at 27.30mm, but you get my drift.

PPS. maybe Peroni????

Haha, I like your thinking Andy, is there a better excuse to crack open a bottle of beer? Will have to get myself a digital Vernier I have one at work but it's not in the best of shape! I will probably leave the end of the pipe in boiling water before attaching it to the car hopefully that will do the trick :D

Back