Rotated Steering Wheel on Column ASR light flashes on right turns?

AlexAdams

Hi,

I've bought a small project of a 2001 1.4TDI, the steering wheel was to the right when central when driving, and wasn't placed centrally in the (4turns) lock to lock. So I knew the tracking needed doing and the wheel needed rotating on the column first. Annoyingly when I was centralising the steering wheel (the marks weren't lined up) the negative cable I had propped off fell and made contact when I had the air bag out so now the airbag light is on, no big surprise here. What I wasn't expecting is that now the ASR/traction light flashes when making right turns. So assume there's some sort of steering wheel position sensor that I've moved and confused the system and the steering wheel is now to the left.

My plan, is to:
1) Get the tracking done with the wheel straight.
2) Airbag light reset seems quite a straightforward job for someone.
3) I need someone to teach the car the new straight ahead position of the steering wheel.

Am I in the right ballpark, are steps 2 & mainly 3 within the realms of an independent or is this a dealer job?

Thanks for any guidance Alex

There IS a sensor underneath the centre-boss. When you re-fit the steering wheel it is ESSENTIAL for this to be in its exact central position. There is an internal ribbon in this device and if it's not in the mid-position, then that ribbon could snap! So here's what you do ..... before fitting the wheel, you wind the centre of the sensor fully one-way. Then wind it fully the other way, counting the number of full turns. It should be 4 turns, I think. So then finally wind it back the other way exactly half of those total turns (i.e., 2 turns). Now looking at the underside of the steering wheel, you will see a marking to indicate perfect "straight-ahead" position when it aligns with another mark on the column. If that doesn't result in correct steering alignment, then the actual physical tracking will need to be re-set, probably by a garage with the alignment equipment. The airbag light is a job for VCDS

David

Thanks David. I've looked up the steering wheel sensor and I although I haven't checked it as recommended, I didn't turn it whilst the wheel was off, basically the car needs to be told a new straight ahead steering wheel position (or similar). Is this a reasonable task, buying VCDS or are there any members local to me that would access the car for a more reasonable charge than a garage? Annoyingly I have a feeling getting this steering wheel straight is about to cost me £150 inc tracking etc.

Alex

In theory, if you remove the steering wheel and refit it on the splines so the two 'chisel' marks line up then have the tracking done, there should be no need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor.
As a double check, there is a window on the steering angle sensor and the yellow dot should be visible when it's aligned.

Cheers Spike

In theory, if you remove the steering wheel and refit it on the splines so the two 'chisel' marks line up then have the tracking done, there should be no need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor.
As a double check, there is a window on the steering angle sensor and the yellow dot should be visible when it's aligned.

Cheers Spike

That would make sense, but I have a feeling someone has reset it already with the wheel out of position. To begin with the wheel was about 5º clockwise when going straight and no warnings generated, I've moved the wheel about 10° CCW so that there are an equal amount of turns CW & CCW from the wheel being level. The wheel is now about 5º CCW when going straight and at every right turn the ASR light flashes, maybe once I get the tracking done the ASR light will be less keen but I have a feeling the sensor was still set at straight ahead I would have had an issue on left turns based on where the wheel was originally set.

Ps) The sensor aligns on two pins and houses the airbag connector so there's a nil chance of getting it anything other than a whole turn wrong with respect to the steering wheel.

Some quite good news, the skies cleared and the track rod ends came undone easily. Left wheel 1.5 turns moving the wheel left, right wheel 1 turn moving the wheel left. My steering is now straight and the ASR warning light is not coming on anymore so the car must have learnt the new central position which is good news for the journey I've got to do tomorrow!! Just the airbag light to get turned off now, which seems minor compared to where I was at earlier this evening.

The unregistered version of VCDS (£under £10 on ebay) will reset the airbag light, I made a similar mistake with the seats out and turned on the ignition, school boy error, but 30 seconds with VCDS to reset the warning light. been no trouble since.

I suspect that with moving the tracking on the rack and pinion mechanically you have reestablished the original steering straight ahead positions (or at least the lest straight ahead position that the car was taught

Some quite good news, the skies cleared and the track rod ends came undone easily. Left wheel 1.5 turns moving the wheel left, right wheel 1 turn moving the wheel left. My steering is now straight and the ASR warning light is not coming on anymore so the car must have learnt the new central position which is good news for the journey I've got to do tomorrow!! Just the airbag light to get turned off now, which seems minor compared to where I was at earlier this evening.

I'm AlexAdam - coincidence or fate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's spooky! I met someone born on the same day & year as me, there was an odd connection I've not had with other people!

I'm a Xennial - 80s child and near to Hogmanay. I've never met anyone born on the same day & year - reckon my parents were a bit odd back then
AA initials and an A2 (Ax2) driver - you know it makes sense.

If the car is reporting back that basic steering calibration needs resetting (or along those lines) it is an easy enough job with vagcom. Just a case of lock to lock and driving straight for a little. There is a guide on this forum somewhere.

Back