Won't run help!

goffy

Hi all,
This is a cry for help really.

My son has a A2tdi 75hp 02, previously owned by me for 8years then pasted on to him. Its always been reliable but 2 weeks ago he took it for an Mot, which it failed! but before having chance to carry out the work the car now won't run. It will start reluctantly blow some smoke out and die after about 20-30 seconds. Its in my local garage who kindly are looking at it in-between jobs to keep the cost down but has got them pretty beat as to the problem. No warning lights on the dash or no codes flag up when plugged in to the computer.
Has anyone any advise, we could look at please?
Thanks in advance

Air and fuel filters come to my mind, contaminated fuel, fuel pump....
Some more advice from more experienced members will be here shortly, I'm sure.

Regards,
Boris

Was the 'fail' related to the emissions test ?

Cheers Spike

Hi,
No, but there was a report of a small fuel leak, the garage who now have the car say they traced it to the diesel heater under the bonnet, but still won't run.

Hi,
No, but there was a report of a small fuel leak, the garage who now have the car say they traced it to the diesel heater under the bonnet, but still won't run.

Update;
the car will eventually start for maybe 20-30 sec with a lot of cranking over, but won't rev when pressing the accelerator, then cuts out! no warning lights, no codes! ANYONE, please ????

I have the same model, and on numerous occasions it used to do this, luckily not recently. I think it was fuel starvation, as it used to do it when parked with the engine higher than the tank. I've never found an air leak, which it what i put it down to(Allowing fuel to drain back to the tank). So like Boris says try the fuel filter and maybe new Diesel.

Update;
the car will eventually start for maybe 20-30 sec with a lot of cranking over, but won't rev when pressing the accelerator, then cuts out! no warning lights, no codes! ANYONE, please ????

It could be that the fuel leak is still there and allowing air into the system, Diesels can take an age to prime and if there is air getting in it may never really get rid of the air since it is sucking in more each time.

So I would focus on finding the leak and curing it.

Steve B

Another theory - check the anti-shudder valve butterfly is opening correctly as a shortage of combustion air could give similar symptoms

Cheers Spike

Thank for your replies.
The garage says they have checked that fuel is pumping to the engine,which it is, so would that eliminate the fuel filter theory?

Back