Audi A2 1.4 - Walter

giskard

I thought that after a interesting first month of ownership I would write about my A2 and record findings and ask questions in one area

The A2 now known as Walter came up for sale advertised as spares or repair, 1.4 fairly basic spec with a few issues to be sorted with 70k miles on the clock for £200 still with 6 months MOT. Drove the car back and apart from the issues pointed out I was really happy. I intended to drive the A2 for two weeks and give the car a thorough service at the start of my annual holiday. Second day of travelling to work the temp gauge shot up and warning lights flashed on the dash, pulled over and most of the coolant had disappeared. Topped up and the level has been the same since. Then after a visit to scrapyard and a trip to Ikea the A2 cut out on the slip road of the motorway with a stripped cambelt. Week off the road and various new parts fitted I am back on the road getting 48mpg and very happy again, and now trying to work through my original list of problems.

1) The A2 was bought with no plipper key ( came with one VW key ) have since sourced a replacement module and flip key - i reprogrammed the key and now having working central locking and auto windows. Just need to get the blade cut for the flip key.

2) Lots of warning lights on the dash, ABS, ESR, and Engine Management lights are on. Plus as soon as I drive off I get three beeps and the red brake symbol flashing in the centre of of the dash. Plugged my reader into the car and I get Exhaust re circulation circuit error detected. Read comments on and checked the EGR valve to see if it is working (it is) and gave it a clean. Still no progress. Took the wheel off today to check the brake wear sensor and the wires have been twisted together and taped up. The other ABS sensor appears to be new.

3) No service history, nothing came with the car at all. The checked the previous MOTs on the DVLA website the validate the mileage when I bought the car and overall the general condition is very good. Having taken the engine apart it is obvious that the cambelts have been changed sometime in the past already as there are tippex marks, and some of the plastic clips are missing from the inside wheel arch, and other components have not been fitted back properly. Various sensors have been replaced, front shocks and pads are virtually new so someone has spent some money at some point. The A2 has two AUTOHAUS stickers in each of the back windows but having carried out a quick google search there are quite a few that these could refer to. Would be good to try and track down previous owners or where it was serviced.

4) Cosmetics the interior is in good condition, changed the handbrake button and grip for a leather one and silver button from a breakers, and on the look out for a back seat as mine has a small cigarette burn. I have replaced the black plastic glovebox handle with a SE version. On the look out for two cupholders too as they were jammed and broken. The windows have been tinted in the past and someone has added an Audi Sport RS2 badge on the tailgate. I have replaced the one rear light as it had a hole in it and the number plate lights have now been replaced too. My main job is to replace the front bumper, bonnet and two front wings. The bonnet and bumper have been dented and the front wings have scratches all over the wheel arches, as well as clumsy previous owners scratching the top of the wings trying to refit the bonnet in place. Then I will look at refurbishing or replacing the alloys which are looking a bit tired.

IMG_3428.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3429.JPG

IMG_3432.JPG

Hi there - had the same 3 beeps and red flashing symbol recently and the problem was linked to the yaw sensor G200 error code found after a scan. This is a common fault on early cars and is located under the console side panel passenger side.

Cheers Dave

Installed VCDS lite on my laptop and tried my new cable and the following list of 9 faults are registered:

Fault vcds.jpg

Installed VCDS lite on my laptop and tried my new cable and the following list of 9 faults are registered:

View attachment 30343

If you do an internet search with the following text

"Audi Error code XXXXX" and replace the XXXX with the numbers from each c ode such as 01312.
You will get plenty of help, especially from Ross Tech.

Steve B

Productive day at the scrapyard, got a af coded ecu, leather 3 spoke steering wheel, concert 2 stereo, unused jack, unused triangle with first aid kit, unused tyre pump, selection of audi tools - all for £30. A2 was a black 1.6 with missing alloys and cupholders other than that it was complete, yard crushed it after i left. Also now realised i cannot connect the stereo without an adapter.

Productive day at the scrapyard, got a af coded ecu, leather 3 spoke steering wheel, concert 2 stereo, unused jack, unused triangle with first aid kit, unused tyre pump, selection of audi tools - all for £30. A2 was a black 1.6 with missing alloys and cupholders other than that it was complete, yard crushed it after i left. Also now realised i cannot connect the stereo without an adapter.

The adapter is inch more than just a cable
The later cars used canbus for the head unit were as you early car does not. It is possible to use the head unit that you have bought but it needs a canbus adapter
Sounds like a good hunting day at mr scrapyard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you say the near side front wheel as the abs sensor wires twisted together and taped up do you mean the abs sensor or the brake wear warning sensor wires ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a nearly new (about a month old) canbus adaptor you can have for £20 if you’re interested. My replacement A2 is an ‘03 model, so the adaptor is now surplus to requirements.

Back