Fuel consumption

DarkHorse

A2OC Donor
Just wanted to say I'm amazed at how efficient these cars are. I was happy before, getting around 62mpg.

After moving to the North Norfolk coast, it has jumped to 70+. It probably has something to do with my grandad driving these days, I don't accelerate past 2,400rpm very much.

The relatively flat terrain, with speeds not really getting over 60mph, coupled with no AC all means great returns on economy for a 17yr old car. Love it!

Actually no AC, due to Tom's investigations into my wiring fault, isn't so bad at the moment because the sea breeze is keeping me cool.

Thanks to the WOM boys, Timmus and Jigsaw for all the help with keeping this car on the road.

Screenshot_2017-07-29-11-23-24.png

Last edited:
Always meant to ask. Is 55mpg a good average for 1.4 TDI used for town and motorway driving?
I don't think that's too bad. But it depends on the length of your journey and time of year.

I used to get that figure. Then I had some oil leaks fixed, switched to pepper pots and never looked back.

Put it this way, I was getting 53mpg on a 4,000 mile Road trip round Europe and I was FULLY loaded! Can't wait to try it with the lighter alloys and no oil leaks next year.

My long term average over 30 months is 55.8 mpg, mostly short journeys with the odd 70 mile journey thrown in.
Best tank full has been 59.9 mpg
Worst tank full was 49.2 mpg (winter short journey often not getting to temperature).

This I am confident is not untypical without taking any particular care over driving style. I occassionaly enjoy letting the little engine rip as it is so very willing!.

Back