cool running

ijedgar

A2OC Donor
I took the latest A2 on a 700 odd mile round trip up to Sussex and back after having the car serviced,cam belt/water pump and brakes done.
On both my previous A2`s the temp gauge has always stood rock steady and dead upright on 90 once warmed up.
This one fluctuates depending on traffic conditions and exterior temperature and frequently falls below 90 but has not gone over 90 even in traffic jams.
I am confused as to why this should be,does anyone know why this would be the case and is this normal?

Sorry hijack alert but I've had same issue and replaced the "green sensor" last week and whilst Temps are going higher they still aren't getting to 90 on TDI 90 ATL.

Do I need to change the other sensor??

Given the fact that it does get up to temp sometimes tells me that the sensor is working - sometimes. The fact that it is slow to heat up and the temp drops down sometimes suggests to me that the thermostat could be a bit sticky. So there is a possibility that you have two faults, just to keep you on your toes. So I would replace the thermostat first and the sensor second.

... and VCDS will tell you exactly which one it is because both temp senders are shown... but the sender is an easier fix than the thermostat.

- Bret

Sorry hijack alert but I've had same issue and replaced the "green sensor" last week and whilst Temps are going higher they still aren't getting to 90 on TDI 90 ATL.

Do I need to change the other sensor??

It could well be a faulty thermostat, as already suggested.

Steve B

Ok cheers guys I'm getting the impression I'm never going to have this car at a point where there are no running faults!

I've seen 2 types for sale, one with and one without what look likes a rubber seal? Does it matter which one I buy?

Last edited:
Ok cheers guys I'm getting the impression I'm never going to have this car at a point where there are no running faults!

I've seen 2 types for sale, one with and one without what look likes a rubber seal? Does it matter which one I buy?

With. Always replace rubber seals.

Sounds exactly like my symptoms - first big drive up, needle took an age to get off 60, once on the M1 the gauge was rooted to rock bottom at 70mph until I got stuck in traffic on the M6 whereupon it abruptly went to 90 exactly, subsequently in the last 350 miles north it sat at 75-80 degrees while I was making up time and never got beyond that. Read a code for the coolant sensor, but my instinct from the speed-related symptoms was probably thermostat responding slowly at best. Suspect both thermostat and sensor could be contributing variably, and the comments above are reinforcing this - thanks for the contributions and expertise.

Back