Information Injector Cleaner

G

Guest 4123

I made my usual weekly journey from Eastbourne to Ely (Cambs) last week in the Lupo 3L. Fuel consumption 3.0 L/100km (only 95mpg!). It should be better than that so I added injector cleaner to the fuel this week. Same journey, similar conditions, 60mph+. Result: 2.6 L/100km or 108.6mpg.

RAB

I made my usual weekly journey from Eastbourne to Ely (Cambs) last week in the Lupo 3L. Fuel consumption 3.0 L/100km (only 95mpg!). It should be better than that so I added injector cleaner to the fuel this week. Same journey, similar conditions, 60mph+. Result: 2.6 L/100km or 108.6mpg.

RAB

Yep it does work,nice result. = (Thumbs up)

Modern diesels with VNT/VGT (as in the 3L's) aren't suitable for repeated short journeys. The mechanism gets clogged up. That's why we have an EV.

RAB

RAB

Hi Rab,

What did you use exactly? I think my 1.4 TDI can benefit from it.

Thanks,
Boris

Carlube from Morrisons. They are all probably much of a muchness. Just a solvent that cleans the crud from the injector tip so you get a more even spray pattern. Don't get any on your skin!

RAB

stupid question alert!!! I guess you take out the injectors and spray them with the solvent, or is it added to the diesel via the tank? thanks

Have to use injector cleaner each year before the MOT on our VW T4 2.5 TDI which is due tomorrow coincidentally. The 2.5 lump hardly ever gets stressed or worked hard.

We tend to use Forte Injector Cleaner as recommended by the MOT tester but as mentioned most brands are probably very similar in terms of getting the job done.

Have to use injector cleaner each year before the MOT on our VW T4 2.5 TDI which is due tomorrow coincidentally. The 2.5 lump hardly ever gets stressed or worked hard.

We tend to use Forte Injector Cleaner as recommended by the MOT tester but as mentioned most brands are probably very similar in terms of getting the job done.
And a good old thrash down the motorway (legal speeds of course) helps blow out the "cobwebs" for the MOT too.

Steve B

With my foot to the floor, and the rev counter into the red, my TDI 90 in 3rd gear pushes, but won't top 75mph.
Running Shell V Power diesel, plus thrashing it on long dual carriageway/motorway inclines every now and again, and my car's limp mode gremlin appears to have gone away.

...cheaper, and more fun, than a new turbo!

Just for info:

I asked the helpful chaps at www.powerenhancer.co.uk as to which product would be best to clean the injectors* and they recommended AR6900-D MAX. Seems to have done the trick and cleared the slight hesitation I had going up a steep hill on full load.

https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/archoil-ar6900-d-max-advanced-fuel-synthesis.html

I've also used BG244 as a one off treatment now and then:

https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/sho...-244-diesel-fuel-cleaner-for-diesel-only.html

*I add a shot of this when I have to use supermarket fuel as I find with my particular driving, it doesn't like some of the hills I have to go up (sometimes a bit of hesitation on load). If not I always use Shell fuelsave Diesel and it doesn't hesitate at all. I'll treat it to V-power diesel once a month too to keep the system clear - I can feel the difference although it's quite expensive!

I've heard a lot of trash talk about injector cleaners. Should i try them? Change fuel filter afterwards? Does brand matter since they are mostly with the same ingredients

I've heard a lot of trash talk about injector cleaners. Should i try them? Change fuel filter afterwards? Does brand matter since they are mostly with the same ingredients

Why would you change the fuel filter (unless it's due for a change)? Using injector cleaner will only be beneficial when there is good reason to use it, of course. This week I got the same consumption (2.6L/100km) as last week, so last week was no fluke, as I expected.

RAB

RAB

After seing this post. I put half bottle of STP diesel fuel injector cleaner in my A2.
Did pu half as it says on it is good for 50-60l. And since my tank benefits only from 34L.
Will test it on a long drive to the mountains in the weekend. Will check improvements.
Also oil and all filters were changed a week ago.So I expect the car to behave better.
Will update!

Back