Marketplace rules update

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2OC

Hi everyone

We have reviewed our marketplace forum to restrict access to members with a post count of 10 or more. This has been considered carefully following some challenges with the current open system which has caused work for the mod team and some disagreement between members.
We are aware not everyone will agree with this having been subject of debate before. However members joining to sell a car or other related goods will be considered on a case by case basis and people 'upping their post count ' to reach the access limit will be monitored.
We believe this is in the best interest of the club as a friendly enthusiast forum.

Regards

A2OC Team

This isn't a complaint as such, just a query.
Surely this is going to mean more work for the moderators, having to check the new posts from people with less than 10 posts.
But the but I find confusing is what will the moderators be checking??? If someone advertises an A2 for sale what will the moderators be looking for???
In a recent example (and one I think may have triggered this action) someone advertised an interesting A2 for sale and then went silent and advertised it somewhere else.
How on earth would a moderator be able to tell if that was going to happen?

If someone posts a for sale advert for an A2 and the price is ridiculously high, then the car simply won't sell, so no harm in allowing the advert or we would be censoring people for no valid reason.
If someone posted a for sale advert for an A2 and the price was ridiculously low, then that is great and we can get chance to buy such cars before the seller runs to eBay or similar.
If someone has a nice A2 at a reasonable price again, why censor it?

As I say, how is a moderator (or anyone) going to be able to spot bad sellers???? It is only after they have shown their true colours that we know that we need to take action.

So can I respectfully ask under what circumstances an advert from a new member with less than 10 posts would be disallowed?
If it is obvious enough that it should be disallowed then it can be taken down just as quick.

I personally would like to hear of every A2 being sold on here FIRST, before it gets to eBay for profiteers to grab hold of.

By adding in delays and more work for the moderators I am not sure that this is an improvement?

Just my view, and the one thing this forum does allow is for people to be able to voice constructive comments like this (likeable or otherwise?)

Steve B

That's going to create work for mods ( I have modded on a couple of forums )
Even upping counts before you can post etc has people kicking off why they can't post anything . If some one sells something after that it's a contract between buyer and seller and both should exercise due diligence and not blame the forum for their shortcomings . I'm on a posh watch forum and that operates a rule of 100 posts before you can SEE the for sale section and 250 posts before you can then advertise so your can see what happens there ! More rules creates a draconian atmosphere by perception and not a fan of it on forums as most can self regulate and leave mods to mop up spammers

Hi everyone

We have reviewed our marketplace forum to restrict access to members with a post count of 10 or more. This has been considered carefully following some challenges with the current open system which has caused work for the mod team and some disagreement between members.
We are aware not everyone will agree with this having been subject of debate before. However members joining to sell a car or other related goods will be considered on a case by case basis and people 'upping their post count ' to reach the access limit will be monitored.
We believe this is in the best interest of the club as a friendly enthusiast forum.

Regards

A2OC Team

hi,
should this not "read 10 or less" ???

Cheers,

hi,
should this not "read 10 or less" ???

Cheers,
I can see why you are asking but it is actually correct.

Posting is restricted to only allow access to those with ten or more posts.

It does read a little like it is saying that members with 10 or more.posts will be restricted though, and so I can see your confusion, but it is correct.

Steve B

Last edited:
I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, (spell checker diid not like that), but it seems to me it would be far simpler to monitor car sales with join date. i.e. not allowed to advertise a car for sale unless a member, for say, one year. This way if you see a car for sale in Selling there is greater likelihood it will have been looked after by a member and cut out the instant joiner seller.

I could say a lot more ......but think about it.

Andy

Last edited:
I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, (spell checker diid not like that), but it seems to me it would be far simpler to monitor car sales with join date. i.e. not allowed to advertise a car for sale unless a member, for say, one year. This way if you see a car for sale in Selling there is greater likelihood it will have been looked after by a member and cut out the instant joiner seller.

I could say a lot more ......but think about it.

Andy

Yes that would take a lot less moderation than counting posts and so would be easier to implement.

But it is the basic idea that we are going to be restricting / reducing / delaying adverts at all, why would we want to restrict / reduce or delay the adverts for A2s that are for sale????

if someone is selling a nice A2 at a very fair price I wouldn't care if they have been posting for a day or ten years, I would still like to know about it. I can make up my own mind if the seller is genuine or not.
And if they have only posted once what would it be about the advert that would make a moderator reject it???

Aldo look at the number of "Spotted on Ebay, Gumtree etc." Posts we get (and very helpful they are too)
but the seller isn't even a member and hasn't posted one thing and yet we are ok about that. But soneone who has taken the time join on here gets their advert moderated????

Steve B

Was wondering why i could not view the ads. One potential purchaser has been excluded! back to the ebay lottery (which I generally lose haha)

Was wondering why i could not view the ads. One potential purchaser has been excluded! back to the ebay lottery (which I generally lose haha)

Very fair point. This was not the intention to prevent car seekers from viewing adverts so that will be sorted . Thanks for pointing that out.
The feedback on this announcement is appreciated. It's accepted that this change may entail some additional work for the moderation team - however it's intended to prevent us from dealing with disagreement and discord amongst members which is unpleasant on a fraternal forum like this.

We don't think this measure is draconian in any respect however it's inevitable that any element of control may be viewed that way. Hopefully the majority of club regulars will trust our judgement to do what's in the best interests of the club. And if it doesn't work - we will review it.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back