AMF TURBO, advice needed

67boris

A2OC Donor
Hi,
Had my A2 on the lift today for gearbox oil change, and noticed there was a big oil leak at the rear of the engine coming from the turbo.

My question is should I order a new turbo core, it's cheaper than the whole thing, and is it just plug and play?

Any advice much appreciated!

Boris

Yes i did the same core was £125 i did it myself it's really fiddly the exhaust manifold nut just above the turbo is a nightmare.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Thanks for a quick reply, you are happy with it apart from the fiddly nut? Can I ask where did you order from? I found a German company on eBay.

Don't you need to find out where the leak is? There is usually a steel oil supply line and a flexible oil return pipe to the crankcase. Have you checked the connections? If the turbo has gone, normally you see plenty of blue/grey smoke from the exhaust but no external leaks.

RAB

Don't you need to find out where the leak is? There is usually a steel oil supply line and a flexible oil return pipe to the crankcase. Have you checked the connections? If the turbo has gone, normally you see plenty of blue/grey smoke from the exhaust but no external leaks.

RAB

Hi Rab,
Haven't checked anything yet, except the turbo shaft play, and that only by feel. However the car has 302000km with it and I have the notorious limp mode problem. I've replaced MAF, MAP, N75 and small pressure/vacuum hoses so far. Will start checking tomorrow.
Thanks for advice.

Boris

I bought my core from a local turbo reconditioning place,my limp mode was cured with a map sensor my old map sensor only lasted 3 months.

You might want to pump around 25 psi into your actuator see if it moves it could be seized.

It's normal, I only change oil every 4500-5000 miles and no need to top up in between. There are no oil drops on my drive.

I was thinking more about the oil being burnt. Sounds like there is not too much wrong with your turbo, apart from the oil leak!

RAB

Mine is still going into limp mode not as bad as before but there's nothing else left i can try so just turning it off and on.

Still the dreaded limp mode, me too. I still have to replace intercooler, turbo hoses (large ones) and I was thinking turbo as well, but after RAB's reply I'll just leave it for the time being. Plenty of other things to do. Oh, the last thing, RAB, there's no smoke coming out of my exhaust, blue or black.

Last edited:
Various sensors and solenoids? Solenoids and sensors are easy to check, resistance with a DVM. To check the intercooler, just fill with water - after removal!

RAB

Various sensors and solenoids? Solenoids and sensors are easy to check, resistance with a DVM. To check the intercooler, just fill with water - after removal!

RAB

Thanks RAB,
seems like a weekend project for me.

Id go for vacumme pipes as the main culprit for limp mode as been there myself several times now , ive a full set of spare boost pipes and sensors and its always been the 3 vacumme pipes that come off the N75 valve at fault , if you put the pipes on the wrong way around youl get limp mode between 60 and 80mph or above 3000rpm as that could easily be done too , got the badge for that one myself lol , but the slightest leak on any those 3 pipes will cause limp mode

Thanks Jigsaw,
I've replaced those and the N75 and was using a printed diagram to connect correctly. Still a chance of an error, nobody's perfect.
My limp mode comes just over 2000 to 2200 if accelerating hard in fourth and fifth and between 2000-3000 if driven on constant revs. Beats me. If I accelerate hard from second gear up to 3500 all the way to fifth, it never comes on. Plenty of rocks to look under I suppose.

Regards,
Boris

Back