[Glove box] - Simple Fix

Evripidis

Today I attempted to fix the glovebox-won't-stay-closed problem. I found a way of doing that might work for others as well depending what the issue is. With this particular one the two tabs would move in and out correctly and the handle would operate but would not spring back to keep the lid closed.

I took the glovebox off using the usual procedure (a handful of torx bolts really and a bit of pulling). You also need to remove the glove box lid from the rest of the glovebox by taking off the two hinges and the small grease-packed gear wheel for the smooth open/close operation. Then removed the handle by prising it off with a plastic trim tool. This is held in place by two plastic pivot points and a spring. A hole is revealed and if you look closely a part of the operating rod is revealed that attaches to the tabs that keep the lid closed. Try and move it left/right and observe the tabs move in/out.

If you shake the lid you will hear the second spring that came loose. Try and fish it out the hole. I used a pair of long-nose tweezers. It is wrapped in a yellow cover and looks like a pen spring with two hooks on either end.

Using a flash light try and locate the small hole on the connecting rod where the spring attaches to.

The second attaching point of the spring I could not find and I used the following mod. I used a piece of metal wire on which I attached the spring. I then secured the two together by closing the eye on the hook and wrapping the wire around it. I then drilled two small holes like in the picture and fished the other end of the wire through one of the holes and then attached the other end of the spring its original hole on the connecting rod. The I pulled the wire and tied it round the second hole that was drilled so the spring remains taut.

The handle is as good as new and the wire is hardly visible when the lid is open. I apologise for not taking more pictures but I did not intend to record this attempt and it is also my g/f's car and needed to get this done quickly! The extra holes that you see in the picture are failed attempts at locating them. You need two basicaly one on the side next to the tab and one right next to it but on the inside of the lid.

Evros

IMG_1343.jpg

Last edited:
Back